Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottomless Pots for OG ?

Posted by arjayvee Z5 SW Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 05 at 4:40

Hello,

We live in an all-sand environment (sand dunes near Lake Michigan). I was thinking that, rather than replace large areas of sand with a soil mix, I could sink cylydrical "bottomless pots" into the sand and then make the interiors a soil mixture.

Since we like OG's like Miscanthus Senensis gracimillus and morning light as well as Panicum Virgatum "Heavy Metal" these cylinders would have a diameter of, maybe, three feet.

I would think that the interior of the cylinder would best be smooth so that dividing the grasses over the years might be easier.

However, in searching for ideas on what to use for these bottomless pots, the only thing that comes to mind is that heavy, black, corrugated drain tile.

Any other suggestions on what I might use and where I might purchase it?

Thank You!

arjayvee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottomless Pots for OG ?

The heavy vinyl sold to contain running bamboo plantings would work, but it is not inexpensive. Just ask your local garden center or nursery supply company if they stock "bamboo barrier". Other possibilities are plastic garbage cans (also used for containing bamboo plantings) cut to size or large nursery pots. These tend to be not very heavy plastic (unlike smaller nursery pots) and are available in sizes as large as 10 or 15 gallon. Bottoms will have to be removed, of course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here