Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

Did some 'searches' but still have ?

carrie630
16 years ago

I couldn't read all of the searches about putting Muhly grasses in containers over the winter, so here are a few simple questions:

Can I use regular MG potting mix to pot up one gallon Muhly grasses? I am in zone 7, I plan to overwinter them in an outside, unheated brick garden house (or garage - which may be warmer, actually) - I know you are supposed to water overwinter, but I am more concerned about how often since it will be cool/cold - like once a week really well?

Also, should i wait until spring to cut back, even though they are in pots, or just let them sit as they are for more winter protection?

Thanks - so much for any responses

Carrie

Comments (6)

• donn_
    16 years ago

Muhly is a warm season grass, hardy to zone 5. You could probably get away with just burying the pots in the ground, and let Ma Nature water them. Once it goes dormant, it doesn't need much, if any, water. Leave the foliage until spring.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

confused donn - I actually have them in the ground (not potted, but planted), but I want to remove them (they were just planted last week), pot them up instead so that I can have them mobile next year in the garden (I am changing stuff around...) So, my actual question is:

Can I use MG potting mix to pot them up in? Plus, they were quite rootbound (that's why they were cheap..), so I really wanted to give them a nice space to "spread out" which is why I wanted to pot them up in a big pot.

Thanks always for helping me out - Carrie

• donn_
    16 years ago

In that case, I wouldn't do anything with them until spring. Pulling and potting them this close to dormancy will put them at risk, for no good reason. Dig them in the spring, when you give them a haircut, and pot them up. MG is fine, but not necessary. Any non-ferts non-soil mix will be adequate. I've had very good results with MetroMix 510/Perlite (or Vermiculite) mixed at 50/50. The MetroMix has a trace starter charge of micronutes, but nothing to be concerned about.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks, donn - good idea, I will wait until spring.
    Now, as far as the potting mix is concerned, I would really like to use what I have, which is tons of MG potting mix - is that perfectly OKAY? no doubt?... or do you recommend what you use? Maybe it's too early in the morning, but MG mix in the bag - ready to go - sounds a bit easier for me. Thanks in advance if you reply again

Carrie

• donn_
    16 years ago

You can use the MG. The reason I said it isn't necessary is because the plant doesn't need the ferts. It won't hurt the plant, but it's a waste of ferts. I'd still cut it with something like Perlite or Vermiculite, though, to improve drainage. Nothing is more important to potted plants than excellent drainage.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

great info - never thought of that - gosh, donn you are terrific

Carrie

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions