Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomazas78

Imperata cylindrica 'Rubra'

tomazas78
14 years ago

Hello,

Looking to buy Imperata cylindrica 'Rubra' ( or 'Red Baron') seeds. Can't find anywhere. Can somebody advice any good ornamental grass seed nursery or online catalog. Interested in seeds only!

Thank you in advance!

Comments (9)

• donn_
    14 years ago

Two seed houses with the largest assortments of ornamental grass seed, Jelitto and Ivy Garth, don't carry them, so I would assume you can't grow it from seed successfully. Chances are, any germination would result in the very invasive basic species.

• tomazas78
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would like to start 200-300 plants of this grass that's why I was looking for seeds. Do you know what are the best way to start such quantity keeping costs down. I was looking for the nurseries in Netherlands and Poland who might carry this grass, but so far can't find anything in small sizes.

• donn_
    14 years ago

The cheapest way I know of is to buy liners, trays of small plant 'plugs' and grow them from there.

http://www.perennialmarket.com/grasses.html

They will have 50-sized liners next July, for $1.29 + shipping, per plant ($64.50 per tray). 50-sized liners are 50 plants in a standard tray. Each plant will have a rootball approximately 1.5" in diameter and a little over 2" deep.

The best way to deal with them would be to pot them on to larger cell trays or individual pots, and grow them on for a month or so before installing them in the ground.

• tomazas78
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dear Donn,

Do you by any chance know a nursery in Europe which might sell plugs. Since I'm in Europe, I do not think that I can not import anything from USA with the soil on it. Also, since I am in the zone 4 would not there be a problem introducing the plant from zone 6 (Netherland)? Will it survive the winter?

• donn_
    14 years ago

Sorry...your profile says you live in the US. I'm not familiar with any suppliers in Europe.

• tomazas78
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, I was not able to enter any other country besides US when I was registering.

• donn_
    14 years ago

Try clicking on Member Services at the bottom of the main page of the forum. Then select Edit Personal Info. You should find a selectable list of locations, and you can also put your location into the Garden Zone area. In mine: 7b (My Hardiness Zone) GSB (Great South Bay), LI (Long Island), NY (New York).

• tomazas78
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks a lot. I have changed it and finelly after a long search I have found Imperata cylindrica 'Rubra' seeds to buy. The site is http://www.gadar.pl/imperata-cylindrica-red-baron-p-787.html . It is in polish, but it can be translated via google translator.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions