Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alchemilla_gw

Italian grasses (pics)

alchemilla
17 years ago

Hi all! My camera got finally repaired, so I thought you would appreciate if I share with you some pics of my beloved 'babies'. The pics were taken this morning.

Consider that my garden is fairly new and so mostly a work in progress. As some of you know, most grasses were just bougth in September. The others are mainly native and unknown species (identification would be truly appreciated :-). I hope you enjoy. Ciaaaao!

{{gwi:871630}}

an unknown short native variety (near a Torenia)

{{gwi:871631}}

probably the same variety this time near a Hosta

{{gwi:871632}}

Again a native variety near recently planted Pansies in a post

{{gwi:871633}}

A couple of native grasses covered with 'hair'

{{gwi:871634}}

Phalaris arundinacea var. picta + a native grass + Alchemilla Mollis (of course!)

{{gwi:871635}}

New-bought Stipa lessingiana and Schizachyrium scoparium

{{gwi:871636}}

Foreground a native unknown tall beaty; background my new Helictotrichon sempervirens + Miscanthus 'Yakushima Dwarf'

{{gwi:871637}}

Foreground: an Hakone-like native grass; Background Mis. Zebrinus (recently moved and given an haircut)

{{gwi:871638}}

Carex Pendula?? + Hydrangea in its full magnificent Fall color

{{gwi:871639}}

Festuca Glauca (growing fast!!) + a native grass

Comments (7)

• donn_
    17 years ago

Very nice!

Your 'hairy' unknown looks very much like Luzula nivea, AKA Snowy Woodrush. You'll know for certain when it blooms, in spring. It sends up masses of puffy white flowers.

• deep___roots
    17 years ago

molto beni, alchemilla.
    grazie.

• alchemilla
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Grazie Donn and Deep Roots! :-)

Donn, I don't think that grass is Luzula Nivea. As for I can remember it flowered in brown. However, like many other small grasses I have - not in these pics-, it probably belongs to the Luzula family. Next year I'll pay more attention to the color of their blooms.

(I'll buy a grasses encyclopedia some day..)

• juicylucy
    17 years ago

Hi alchemilla,

I agree, very nice and will only get better/more beautiful w/time! Thanks for sharing your pics!

I believe you inquired in another post about the width of my monster yaku jima, it's approx. 3-3.5' at the base.

Happy gardening in beautiful Italy :)

• grass_guy
    17 years ago

very nice!

I also thought the first looked like Luzula, but could be many others as well.

The third photo looks like Sesleria autumnalis, a native to Italy.

Enjoy watching the garden grow and change!

• alchemilla
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Only to say that I'm reorganizing my photo album, so I've moved these pictures. Sorry for broken links in this post.
    The new *working* link is listed below. Ciao!

Here is a link that might be useful: My baby grasses

• dereks
    17 years ago

Nice pics. I like one covered with hair.

Sponsored
Expert Cabinetry Refinishing & Refacing in Loudoun County