Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

2005 wintersown grass summary:

donn_
18 years ago

I anyone is interested, I've posted a summary of my wintersown ornamental grass results at the Winter Sowing Forum, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersown grass results

Comments (9)

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Wow!!!! Donn, what do you plan to do with them. I recall a show on HGTV where a man grew one million daylilies, and had a sign up on the interstate for a dollar each. He said when he made a million he was going out of business. In a later interview with him, he said he had made a ton of money from the daylilies, but wasn't going to give up growing them. Sound like a plan? Well, not a dollar each, nowadays. Polly

• donn_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Polly...I've sold some to a local nursery and sold some to passers-by. I've swapped some for other stuff, and donated some to a local hospital grounds crew. The rest of them will winter over in holding beds, and get transplanted to display beds in the spring.

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Donn, I will be dividing up some of my grasses next spring. I have some miscanthus you might not have, as I buy plugs, don't do seeds. If you're interested, I would be glad to send you a few starts. I appreciate your advice in this forum, actually refer some of my customers to the forum. Polly

• donn_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That'd be great. Polly. Let's work up a trade in the spring.

In the meantime, do you buy your plugs locally, or online? I'm planning to buy some next year.

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Hi Donn, I buy the plugs online. I'd be glad to give you my sources. Can you purchase wholesale?

• donn_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Polly, I don't have any sort of retail identity, but if it's a matter of minimum quantities, it would depend on how high they are. I've spent quite a bit of time on Green Mountain Transplant's website, and would probably buy 3-4 flats of 32 at a time. They allow you to mix the flats.

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Donn, in NY it doesn't take much to get a business cert. Minimal expense, and if you are going to be selling them it is really the way to go. As long as you have a tax ID, most wholesalers will sell to you, even if you don't go the route of a nursery license, until you get a volume built up. I'm sure your county might be high, but we're talking less than $50.00. Consider it? Anyway, unfortunately my sources are wholesale, and the only one I know of that might sell with enough volume is Emerald Coast Growers. They do mix 1/2 trays, and have an availability of about 120 grasses. My other two recommendations, should you decide to go wholesale is Walters Gardens, SUPER plugs, and the minimum is 20 plugs, one variety. And one every grass lover should get that can buy wholesale is the Kurt Bluemel wholesale catalogue. You will be in grass heaven if you get that. Minimum is $50, but they don't mix trays. I would still like to send you some starts in the spring, no swap needed. I have more than enough now to divide. I just looked at Green Mountain and they do not have nearly the variety of some of the wholesalers, and you could get a much better price. If you do decide to go the wholesale route, let me know, and I'll give you any help I can. Polly

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

One thing to bear in mind with sowing seeds from ornamental grass cultivars such as Miscanthus sinensis 'Nippon' and Miscanthus sinensis var. condesatus 'Cosmopolitan' is that MOST of them do not usually come true from seed. (We all know this to be the case with many perennials too) They may look similiar enough but perhaps the height or bloom time or inflorescence color is different etc. You will still get a beautiful and worthwhile plant though.

This is the reason that more OG cultivar seed is not commercially available. The species seeds come true though and some of the more vigorous cultivars such as Pennisetum alopecuriodes 'Moudry' seem to do well enough. Additionally some of the cultivar seeds are known to be sterile. This is one reason to be careful about what seeds are traded on the internet. Some may unintentionally misrepresent what seeds they think they have.

Sue
    'The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow'

• marktime
    18 years ago

Anyone interested in OG plug check out http://www.nwog.net/

Here is a link that might be useful: OG plugs

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm