Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrammy06

Erianthus hostii

gardengrammy
17 years ago

I bought a clump of ornamental grass named Erianthus hostii and I can't find any information on it anywhere. Can anyone help?

Comments (10)

• donn_
    17 years ago

Great question, and I'll be interested to see if you get an authoritative answer. My hunch is it's some sort of taxonomic issue.

In searching for Erianthus hostii, I find it listed as Andropogon strictus (Host) and as Saccharum strictum. I found another listing for Erianthus hostii, calling it "Plume Grass" which is a catch-all name for all Erianthus and Saccharum.

If you don't get any answers, grow it out, and let us see pictures in bloom and pictures of the foliage, and I'll be we can ID it. It's probably one of the Plume Grasses, which means it want's full sun, and may get very tall, particularly in bloom.

• gardengrammy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. It's about nine foot tall right now. I will take a picture of it, but I've tried in the past to post photos to the forums and I can't figure out how to do it!

• donn_
    17 years ago

Email it to me. I'll post it.

• gardengrammy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't know how to send you the picture through the forum and my emails came back.

• donn_
    17 years ago

You can't send it through the forum, but if you attach it to an email, it should get to me.

donnwest@msn.com

• gardengrammy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's what I did and it and it came back undeliverable. I'll try again.

• donn_
    17 years ago

Got it.

{{gwi:871905}}

I cropped and enlarged a little. The picture is fuzzy, but it looks to me like Saccharum ravennae, AKA Erianthus ravennae, common names Ravenna Grass, Hardy Pampas Grass or Plume Grass.

• gardengrammy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the picture and the info. That was an old picture that I had. I'll take a better one later....and maybe I'll learn how to upload it to the forum!

• donn_
    17 years ago

You can't upload to the forum.

Go to photobucket.com and open a free account. Follow their instructions on uploading photos to their site. Once you have copies of your photos on Photobucket, you'll see 3 sets of tags under each thumbnail. Select and copy the middle one, and paste it into a post on the forum.

Very simple.

• gardengrammy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! It was simple and I've uploaded two pictures!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists