Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miscanthus in Mobile Alabama

Posted by AUHort1990 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 27, 05 at 11:38

Hello, I am trying to find out if Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus' will live in Mobile Alabama. We have a project down there and right now they have Panicum virgatum 'Switchgrass' specified. I have absolutely no experience with Switchgrass and the only pics I can find of it make me think it looks weedy...apologies to those who may love this grass. Anyway, I have tried to replace the switchgrass with Miscanthus but the LA in charge is saying it will not live in Mobile. Everything I can find on the miscanthus says it is hardy to zone 9. Does anyone have any experience with this particular Miscanthus in lower alabama or the gulf coast? Or any other information on the Switchgrass will be appreciated also.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miscanthus in Mobile Alabama

• Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 27, 05 at 14:24

One of my ornamental grass books says that 'Gracillimus' will "suffer" in warm, humid SE climates. I'm not sure what that means, but it does specifiy it. Other Miscanthus cultivars might be more suitable.

I'd check the library for some OG books, and browse through them. You'll find several cultivars of Panicum that are more attractive than the basic Switchgrass, and many other cultivars of Miscanthus.

o
RE: Miscanthus in Mobile Alabama

Thanks for you reply Donn. I just got off the phone with a nursery in Semmes Al., which is down near Mobile and they have been growing and selling Gracillimus for years. She has assured me the it will do great down there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here