Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Autumn Moor Grass - Sesleria autumnalis

marcindy
13 years ago

Hello - I want to raise Autumn Moor Grass (Sesleria autumnalis) from seed. I will need about 20 or 30 plants for a new bed next year and was hoping I could grow them myself. I have access to seed (a large planting near my work, thanks to the City Parks department of Indianapolis) but I have never grown grasses from seed before (shame). I am pretty good at raising most other things from seeds, so I figured it can't be too hard to do this with grass (usually the famous last words in my world!!!). With that in mind, when do I know the seeds are ready to be harvested from the grass? Right now the seed heads are mostly still greenish tan in color, and I remember from last year that they turn a more darkish chocolate brown (I think...). I figured that would be my clue to harvest them. After that, store the seeds dry and cool and sow them in regular seed mix next spring. Does anybody know when Sesleria seed is ready to be harvested? Any suggestions for improving my success with the seed next spring? Thanks in advance from a grass-seed-harvesting-and-growing-challenged gardener...:-)

Comments (9)

• donn_
    13 years ago

I responded the last time you started a thread on this topic. It's just a few threads down the page.

• marcindy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG this is totally embarrassing... I completely forgot I already posted this. My apologies for double posting.
    M.

• cactusgarden
    13 years ago

I just checked out from the library The Grass Encyclopedia that John Greenlee published and he says on the Sesleria autumnalis, the flowers emerge as purplish black, covered with white silky stamens and turn brown at maturity and persist throughout winter. He advises to propagate this grass by seed or division in spring or fall. He doesn't mention anything about them needing a cold period or anything special.

I have had grass damp off in some planting mediums so I use those little sterile peat pellets that you soak and then squeeze out the excess water and put them in a covered plastic container like a little greenhouse. I have had very good luck germinating grass with them. If you want to do them next spring, just start them in February like you do other plants to set out after your last frost free date.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Marcindy- I am searching high and low for Sesleria Autumnalis seed to no avail. Where did you find it? Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

• marcindy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I ended up buying it from a local nursery. They had several really large plants. I bought four of them, and divided each into really small pieces. They grew quickly and within three years I had my fully established clumps. The seed route I tried didn't work out for me. what sprouted ended up being regular grass or types of weeds... bummer lol. I would try to find plants online or in a nursery near you and divide them. It was really easy.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Thanks, that's all super helpful! I'm even having trouble finding them at nurseries, but I'll keep searching. Sorry you had trouble with the seeds…seemed like a great plan.

• WoodsTea 6a MO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I've searched for seeds without luck. I do know that Santa Rosa Gardens sells the plants, but they are pretty expensive per plant if you need a lot of them.

New Moon has plugs for much cheaper if you are able to buy wholesale.

• marcindy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have ordered from Santa Rosa before, they have pretty good sales going on, just sign up to their email list and they'll let you know. I don't know how many plants you would need, but you could always buy three or four, and plant them. Let them all grow for two or three years before you dig them up and divide each at least twice, most likley even more times and replant. You'll be amazed how quickly you will have enough plugs for whatever your plans call for. I have done that with other perennials and used marigolds and California poppies and such until I had enough plants to covered the area. I almost missed having that space to experiment with annuals once the perennials filled in.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

I did hear back from Greenlee & Associates (John Greenlee is a big proponent of prairie style gardening). They sell plugs, but the minimum order is 100. When I asked about seeds they said that Sesleria is very difficult to start from seed, so your idea of dividing the plants is a good one. Thanks!