Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fountain grass and pampas grass

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 12:54

I pictures some fountain grasses look like the pictures of pampas grass. Do the common names overlap? With regard to the larger grasses, if one is just driving by and sees a grass one likes is there a way to know which to ask for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fountain grass and pampas grass

There is no overlap between real Pampas Grass (Cortaderia) and Fountain Grass (Pennisetum). The smallest Pampas Grass is much larger and has much larger flowers than the largest Fountain Grass.

The best way to learn to ID the larger grasses from a drive-by is to study Google Images. A few to look up would be Cortaderia selloana, Miscanthus sinensis, Panicum virgatum, Saccharum ravennae, Arundo donax and Sporobolus wrightii.

Get to know things like their foliage height, flowering height and time of flowering. This will help you to name what you see while driving by.

o
RE: Fountain grass and pampas grass

Albert, if you are really in Sunset zone 2 or 3, I doubt what you are seeing is pampas grass - it is not hardy below USDA zone 7 (dwarf varieties maybe to zone 6), which translates roughly to Sunset 4.

The other varieties Donn lists should be hardy to at least USDA 6, some lower. I would think these species would be more common in your area than the Cortaderia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here