Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calamagrostis...

Posted by rubrifolia 7ish NYC (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 05 at 13:28

Is it as wonderful as the King&Oudolf book make it seem?

Does it self sow? I have given up on Moudry & Sea Oats & the like for their super aggressive colonization.

When does it bloom here for us on the east coast?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calamagrostis...

thats the C brachytricha, not acutfiflora.

o

IMO, it is fairly unimpressive until it plumes out...then it is very attractive. It has been blooming for about a month, at least, here in z4. I've only found a couple seedling in the 4 or so years I've had it.

o

C. brachytricha makes a very attractive container grass.

o

Taken today...

Here is a link that might be useful: Calamagrostis brachytricha

o

mmmm, it IS beautiful. no doubt bout that.

"only a couple of seedlings" from zone 4 does make this zone 7er a tad nervous thou. One of the problems of our long summers & falls has to do with germination!

Will try several next year to weave thru what ends up being a dry summer bed & see what develops.

o

I've never had seedlings, but I garden upstate in zone 5. Beautiful grass in bloom, that's for sure. I fall in love with it every September when it flowers. Stirs the soul.

By the way, grass has been reclassified according to some sources (but not all) as Stipa brachytricha.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here