Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexican Feathergrass in a shady area in zone 9

Posted by gwald 9 - coastal SF bay (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 13:45

hi - I would like to plant Mexican Feathergrass in my front yard near/under a tree where it's shady. Notes on this grass say full or moderate sun. If it's in the shade, will it still do ok but not get as big, or would it be expected to do really poorly. Thanks for any comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexican Feathergrass in a shady area in zone 9

It will probably survive, but it won't be happy about it. Too little sun will cause it to flop. I've grown it successfully in 4 hours a day of morning sun, followed by dappled shade. It does best, however, in 6+ hours.

There are finely bladed varieties of Carex which will do better.

o

It flops in full sun in my climate! A very wispy, even messy looking grass at the best of times, sun or shade.

I'd agree with going with a species of Carex. Besides not being well-suited to shade, Mexican hairgrass, Nassella tenuissima (formerly Stipa), is considered an invasive species in California. New Zealand hair grass (Carex comans) in one of its green forms can tolerate quite a lot of shade or go with a native species, Carex tumulicola or Berkeley sedge.

Here is a link that might be useful: CA invasive grasses

o

It self-sows here, too, but not excessively. I let it have its way in one bed, and move the young'uns out to other beds and containers. One plant only looks good for one season for me, so I treat it as an annual, and shovel prune the volunteers before the seed ripens.

o

It's native to prairies in Texas. Does best with full sun and no supplemental water after it's established. Growth & appearance will be very disappointing under your tree.

o

thx for all of the suggestions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here