Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubrifolia

C Brachytrichia vs Achnatherum C

rubrifolia
17 years ago

Here it is fall & this garden still doesnt have enuff grass!

I do love the Brit lust books pix of Brachytrichia & now have been reading bout Achnatherum....

This bed already has 6 staggered Karl Forsters & 5 Overdams with mucho other perenns & shrubbage. Am looking for some later fat plumes to play with. Good soil which can get dry should the summer do its July/Aug drought thing.

Comments (3)

• donn_
    17 years ago

I started C. brachytricha this year, but got no blooms (yet?). A. calamagrostis is on my Jellito seed list for next year.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Calamagrostis brachytricha will supply your later season 'fat blooms'. Quite a lovely grass ~ if you do a search you will see a discussion of both these grasses a couple of months ago.
    Achnatherum calamagrostis blooms about the same time as your Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster' so .. not really a solution there. Achnatherum calamagrostis is quite slow to form a patch from seed AND is very whimpy when it comes to other plants seeding into it. STILL ... it is one of my favorite grasses! When it is in bloom nothing can beat it.
    A.

• rubrifolia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ach, your garden shots are abfab delish.

I definitely lust after the heads of Brachytrichia but am thinking that the Achnatherum has to come play as well.

and then little bluestem has to find a spot and then that Deschampsia goldtau....oy.

Sponsored
More Discussions