Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Mail order sources

Can anyone direct me to a good catalog of ornamental grasses. I receive lots of general merchandise catalogs, but is there anyone who has a catalog with mostly grasses in it? I have a very old catalog from Kurt B something or other. Is that firm still in business? Thank you...Maryl

Comments (14)

• donn_
    18 years ago

That would be Kurt Bluemel. He's a wholesaler and developer of ornamental grasses. His website is here.

Earthly Pursuits is his retail presence (may be run my his sister).

A wonderful source for grasses, and a website chock-full of information about them, is Bluestem, in British Columbia.

Go to Google, and search on "Ornamental Grass" and you'll find dozens more sources.

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

The sources Donn gives are the most comprehensive. But there are others with less extensive offerings that ship good-quality, high-value plants: Digging Dog (CA), Forest Farm (OR), Fieldstone (ME), Magic Gardens (NY), to name just a few reliable sources. If you want to see customer-ratings and reviews of these and other mail order nurseries, go to gardenwatchdog.com. There you can search by state or by offering (ie, ornamental grasses).

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all very much. I have just ordered a catalog from Digging Dog, already have Forest Farms catalog, but thought there might be someone with nice glossy pictures and the latest cultivars listed. I'll be looking at the others on your list. Since I don't know much about grasses the pictures do help.

• Tree_Frog
    18 years ago

If you are looking to purchase full flat quantities, I'd recommend Emerald Coast Growers in Pensacola. They're a big wholesale outfit but will sell retail if you meet their minimum quantity requirements.

• garasaki
    18 years ago

Look up "Ion Exchange"

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

Maryl:

There is another excellent source - several of them - in fact.

I have recently added two ornamental grasses to our Garden and did so after visiting one of my favorite rural garden areas north of Manistee. The first addition to my garden was Miscanthus 'Purpurascens' also known as "Flame" grass.

I looked up its characteristics, photograph, etc. at my favorite garden search tool, which is given far below. Information about Miscanthus 'Purpurascens' 'Flame' can be found here.

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=E220

Once you link to this site, explore the online sources that they provide for this particular variety.

Another ornamental grass which I added to our garden is "Northern" or "Inland" Sea Oats. Again, I made use of my favorite gardening search tool and found information on Chasmanthium latifolium.

Here's the link to this ornamental grass:

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=A240

You will also note that there are online sources for this grass as well.

For excellent information on Ornamental Grasses you might also wish to read either or both of Rick Darke's books:

"The Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses: Sedges, Rushes, Restios, Cat-Tails, and Selected Bamboos", which can be found at Amazon.com. Here's the link to this book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0881924644/qid=1130289563/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-8113067-2564903?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

OR his:

"The Timber Press Pocket Guide to Ornamental Grasses", which can also be found at Amazon.com at this link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0881926531/qid=1130289563/sr=8-3/ref=pd_bbs_3/102-8113067-2564903?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Hope this information and resources are more than useful in your gardening endeavors.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Botanical Garden - Plant Finder - Search

• newgardeningnurse
    18 years ago

Hi Maryl!

We just bought a house, put up a fence, and because of the sloping yard we have to build beds around the sides where there's a 1-2 foot gap between the ground and the fence. I just recently bought a book on ornamental grasses that has loads of glossy pictures of individual grasses and grasses in the landscape.

I'm meeting with a garden guy this morning with the book, to show him pictures of what I'd like to add, but when I'm through with it I'd be happy to loan it to you!

Please write back at my email address because I may not find this post again. (snicker)

sheryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Congrats Sheryl! Will e-mail you......Just received my Earthly Pursuits catalog and it IS what I was looking for although I wish it had more pics. The Missouri Botanical resource kept me on the computer for hours on a variety of subjects, so thank you for the link. You all have been most helpful and I will pursue other suggestions as winter encroaches. I have a specific effect in mind and since I know little about ornamental grasses I'm trying to find out if what I want is feasible. It involves a shorter Miscanthus, part shade, and flowers as showy as the Zebra Miscanthus (just not as tall). I may have to post that question under a separate heading.

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

Maryl, Perhaps what you are looking for can be found in the pages of Rick Darke's excellent book: Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses, avilable from Timber Press or amazon (and others). Great photos of nearly every one of the 400 or so species mentioned with reliable horticultural info for every entry. Also with chapters on dividing, soil prepÂyou name it, it's in there. Many in this forum tout that book for good reason: it's the best.

• marktime
    18 years ago

I had the same problem. I found this on the web and think I will be ordering from them soon. Good luck.
    http://www.nwog.net/

Here is a link that might be useful: OG source

• rleibman
    18 years ago

marktime,
    I was thinking of ordering from them as well...
    What is it they mean when they say 72's, 50's, etc?

• donn_
    18 years ago

rleibman...the numbers represent the number of plugs in a standard (~10"x20") nursery flat. The higher the number, the smaller the plug.

• marktime
    18 years ago

rleibman: those are the size of the flats they sell them in. 72' means a flat with 72 cells..so your getting 72 plants X what ever the price is.

• smalljaw
    18 years ago

Can you order from Emerald Coast if you are not a wholesaler ? There is a place outside Nashville , TN . that grows lotsa good ones . Panicum virgatum 'Northwind' , 'Shenandoah', 'Dallas Blues' , 'Cloud Nine ', Panicum amarum 'Dewey Blue' , Muhlenbergia capillaris , 'White Cloud ' , 'West Farm ', Muhl. dumosa , Eragrostis elliottii , curvula , spectabilis , Chasmanthium latifolium , Schiz. scoparium ' The Blues ' etc.. They have in them in the field and in containers , all sizes . They are only open by appt.. , but is called Gum Tree Farm Nursery . I am not sure if they ship , maybe ? There was an awesome place in Cinncinatti called Ohio River Grass , but I think they closed and moved to Montana . Their display gardens rocked .' Northwind ' in back with straight species Muhly in front , that is a choice combo . Plant Delights has a good supply , but most people I talk to moan and groan about his prices . It does not stop me from ordering . I like a good bargain though .

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?