Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with cutting mistake

Posted by wetzdaddy 5A (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 14:56

I mistakenly took the advice of a friend who said that my Karl Foerster's cool weather ornamental grasses needed to be cut in the fall. Needless to say, I have cut them down to about 2" in height before realizing my mistake. What are my chances that they will survive through the sometimes harsh Iowa winter, and is there something I can do to help at this point?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with cutting mistake

Cover them with about a two foot thick, loose pile of pine boughs, needles and all. Then fill it up with fall leaves. Give them a good mulching like this, and your chances are close to 100%. It's a very hardy grass...good down to zone 3.

Don't do this until the surface couple of inches of soil are frozen. If you do it too early, mice will move in.

Be sure to clear it away in early spring, because this grass is a very early starter.

o

I always cut my Karl Foerster back in the fall because it starts to grow so early in spring It comes back fine. Our coldest temp for a while now was minus 25 degrees and no snow cover. Just thought since I garden in cold northern IL. that this might help. No winter protection applied. Good luck, Pat

o

It should come back just fine, I have made the same mistake more then once and not mulched it. It just might not look it's best; at lest that has been the case for me, looking less full or having less inflorescence.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here