Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

Is this 'Moudry?'

donn_
17 years ago

{{gwi:872339}}

{{gwi:872340}}

I transplanted it from a nursery bed in May, and it just started blooming in mid-October. I thought it was species P.a. and had planned for it to bloom at the same time as the Eragrostis spectabilis in front of it, but, as you can see, it fooled me. The Love Grass is just about finished.

{{gwi:872341}}

Comments (12)

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Yup! That sure looks more like it to me. Wider leaves than P. alopecuroides and fatter blooms and of course the timing is right! As you can see mine only just made it into bloom this year ~ some blooms out and some just beginning to peak out. We will have frost in the next couple of days so that will be the end of that. I still think that it is worth it for the foliage ~ a very elegant fountain grass.
    a.

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went out and clipped blades from each of 'Moudry,' P.a. orientale and species, and the differences are distinct. I must have mixed up the tags when they went into the nursery bed. That gives me an excuse to move them all next spring. I want 'Moudry' in the boat, and I'll put orientale in the bed. I'll have to start some more species as well.

I find it interesting that 'Moudry' has such a reputation for self-seeding. It looks like it's going to be hard-pressed to ripen it's seeds before winter closes in. I have another clump, in a more shaded and dry situation, and it's just starting to show some plumes.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

so i guess I don't have to worry about my Moudry ripening seeds so you have something for comparison. Good thing since it doesn't look like it will manage seeds this year!

Darn ... those pesky labels. Always getting in the wrong pots :o)

• dereks
    17 years ago

What a beautiful grass! If only I had more space in my tiny little yard.

• grass_guy
    17 years ago

very nice moudry grasses. deadhead late in fall to help stop reseeeding.

• clbravo
    17 years ago

I have been trying to identify this grass as well. I am in Louisiana and haven't seen this anywhere. My neighbor gave me some starts she got from Ohio two years ago, and this is the result after dividing once. This looks like the same as yours. Mine starts off with a purple shade then turns rust colored. It has been blooming for a couple of months. What is this about seeds? I am new to grasses.
    Clint

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Clint..beautiful grasses, and beautiful palms, too. Are they Pindo Palm?

I don't think your grasses are 'Moudry.' The foliage blades are more narrow, and the plumes are much higher out of the foliage. Maybe some variety of Pennisetum orientale?

The thing about seeds is some of the Pennisetums are notorious re-seeders/self seeders. 'Moudry,' for example, will sow itself all over a lawn, which it apparently likes better than even garden soil for seed germination. Each of those plumes contains up to and over 100 seeds. In your warm zone, if it's a re-seeding Pennisetum, you would have noticed it in previous years.

• grass_guy
    17 years ago

I agree with donn. I'm not positive those are Moudry. They do look fantastic though.

The palms look like Washingtonians to me.

• clbravo
    17 years ago

Donn,
    The grass guy is right. The palms are Washingtonians. My next project is to put a pergola that will house an outdoor kitchen centered in between. That species gets really tall down here. If anyone can identify this particular grass I would really appreciate it. I hate not knowing what I am growing.
    Clint

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

It sure looks like Pennisetum setaceum (rupellii) although the foliage might be a bit wide ...

Or .... Rick Darke has a pic in his grass book of
    Pennisetum alopecuroides 'National Arboretum' that might fit the bill. I have never grown that one.

Clint, it is a gorgeous grass! And now you have 1/2 the name. It is definitely a Pennisetum sp.

A.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:872338}}

• grass_guy
    17 years ago

A...i think you're right with the P. National Arboretum id.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

A telling point might be when they started to bloom.
    Clint?

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions