Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arjayvee

Miscanthus Senensis Gracimilus

arjayvee
18 years ago

Hi Again,

I purchased 20 MSG's from Greenwood Nursery - on sale. They came in 4" pots and were very well rooted - somewhat root bound. Since I cannot really plant them in the ground until next year, I have put them in much larger pots and will overwinter them in a somewhat protected space (garage).

My question is about the way I transplanted them to a bigger pot. Should I have "combed out" the roots before simply plunking them down in the new pots (with topsoil and peat moss)?

Thanks,

Arjayvee

Comments (6)

• donn_
    18 years ago

I don't think it matters enough to pull them out and pot them again. Generally, it's good practice to tease up the roots of potbound plants when potting on or planting out, but your Miscanthus should be ok. I've been planting out OG's for the past few weeks, grown from seed in plant bands, and most of them are somewhat rootbound, but I'm just dropping them into the hole, pulling the band off and backfilling them. They don't seem to mind.

• jspece
    18 years ago

Just wondering what the difference would be planting them in larger pots or planting them in the ground? Personally, I would have just planted them in the ground and mulched after freeze up. Wintering in pots can be tricky business...unless you've done it before and have a good method.

• pezhead
    18 years ago

Garages tend to be very dry as well and lacking in light. I'd just plant them in a well drained (high in chipped gravel) medium. Here in Zone 8 our Gracillimus is JUST now starting to flower. Same goes for 'Morning Light.' Strictly a foliage plant in Michigan eh?

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

I would have planted them outside also, 4" pots, Z5 should have been OK. If they are in the garage now, tho, probably best to leave them there. Ours are blooming outside right now. We normally get bloom for about one month, and that's why I like Gracillimus so, it's so fresh looking in October, when everything else is done. Polly

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

arjayvee:

Well, you have another alternative. You could purchase the "Pro Gardening Auger System" and attach it to your 3/8 inch drill and easily plant all of your ornamental grasses. I placed an order for the system last week and it should arrive very soon - before this weekend when I plan to plant several dozen bulbs and a few more plants - one of which will be an ornamental grass.

I've listed the link below. After many searches, I've come to believe that they have the best auger system on the market.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Pro Gardening Auger System

• luvahydrangea
    18 years ago

Regarding your question about combing out the roots. I am a believer that its best to remove as much of if not all of the soil that a plant comes from the nursery in. I usually acheive that by taking a hose, and just rinsing off the roots. That way you don't damage the roots by cutting or tearing them when you comb them out.

I can't imagine that the ground is frozen already where you are, and Gracillimus is hardy in your zone, so why not plant them outside? Just curious.

Sponsored
More Discussions