Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lori_se_michigan

Where to plant Miscanthus Sinensis Little Zebra

Lori_SE_Michigan
18 years ago

I just bought a "Little Zebra" for 50% off - I'm so excited! I want to plant it by my mailbox for a new bed I will be putting in next spring. The problem is that I live on a fairly busy road that gets salted/plowed every winter.

Should I plant the grass in a holding bed for the winter, so that next year it will have time to get established over the spring/summer before being blasted with salt & road dirt?

Comments (8)

• juicylucy
    18 years ago

Not sure about the salt, but give it plenty of room! Little Zebra isn't quite as little as I thought it was going to be, approx. 5' w/plumes in its 2nd year. It is also much wider than I anticipated and has swallowed several nearby plants. I love it though, despite being not-so-little!

• pezhead
    18 years ago

I'd maybe wrap the pot if you're expecting bitter cold and wait to plant that sucker until late spring. Warm season growers do not respond particularly well to fall transplant -- especially if you live in an area where winter conditions may be challenging. That's my take.

• donn_
    18 years ago

I'd bury the pot. I lost a container Miscanthus last year, and my winters are a good deal milder than yours. Plant it, pot and all, and then dig out the pot and install the plant next spring.

• creamgogo
    18 years ago

what's the difference between putting it straight in the ground or leaving it in the pot?

• Lori_SE_Michigan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice! I have the perfect spot where it will get winter sun, but at the same time be shielded from any blustering winds!

• anitamo
    16 years ago

This is an old thread, but I'm wondering if any of you grass experts can answer the question posed by creamgogo...

"what's the difference between putting it straight in the ground or leaving it in the pot?"

I'd like to know because I just picked up some "Little Kitten" and "Little Zebra" on sale and was planning on planting in my zone 5 garden now. Thanks.

• donn_
    16 years ago

The biggest difference between installing the plant and burying the pot, is damage to the feeder roots. This is very late in the year to be planting any warm season grass. In a short time, the plant will go into dormancy, and it's roots will not grow during that period. Therefore, it will not establish itself until the spring, when the growth begins again. In the nursery pot, the roots are already established. They are taking up water and nutrients. If you disturb them by removing the plant from the pot and installing it, you will damage some of that uptake ability.

• anitamo
    16 years ago

Okay, so I'm better off leaving them in the pot. Thanks for that explanation, it makes a lot of sense.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions