Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what o'grass to plant in hellstrips?

Posted by Lou_Midlothian_Tx z8 DFW, Tx (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 16:19

I'm looking for oramental grasses that grow to be 3'x3' or so in the hellstrip to liven things up. I recently found out I can't plant trees so that's why I'm looking into oramental grasses as an alternative. Any recommendations? I don't know very much about these grasses. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what o'grass to plant in hellstrips?

Go out to a local library or good bookstore and take a look at a good book on ornamental grasses. There you will find all sorts of pictures and descriptions of what conditions they will take and what size they will attain etc. The web is also good if you visit a good nursery's website and look at pictures of different grasses and read what they like.

If your in Texas and your planting in a "hell strip" (new term for me) will you be giving them regular water their first season and semi-regular in the hottest periods thereafter? Miscanthus sinensis 'Arabesque' may get both taller and wider than 3x3 -- more like 4x4 perhaps. Miscanthus sinensis 'Graziella' will be about 3' wide but more like 6 feet tall in flower. Miscanthus sinensis 'Adagio' is about 3-4' tall and perhaps 3-4' wide. Miscanthus like full sun, but Texas sun can be altogether different from what I recall. You could coonside a native grass planting with rocks and small drought tolerant shrubs. Check what's native to your hot open grounds.

o

There is a grass called Muhlenbergia capillaris. It is close to the size you want and can handle harsh conditions. Very drought and heat tolerant.

o

dereks suggestion is a good one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here