Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass in container ?

Posted by christine1950 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 16:30

I've had this grass in the pot since I was given a tiny piece in early summer, she's done really well I think and now I need to know what should I do with it? Next summer I will be able to plant it in the ground. I do have a screened in patio so should I leave it outside in the pot for the winter or bring it into the patio?
Thanks for any advice, I'm looking forward to it taking off next year in the spring.
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass in container ?

This is one that's hard to ID without the blooms. Did it bloom for you during the summer? If so, what did the blooms look like?

Things it could be:

Phalaris arundinacea var. picta
Gardener's Garters
Zone 4

Carex morrowii maybe 'Ice Dance'
Variegated Sedge
Zone 5

Liriope muscari variegata
Variegated Lilyturf
Zone 5

As you can see, you are at or near the bottom of the hardiness range for any of these plants.

In a container, you lose 2 zones, so your winter will be like zone 3 unless you bring the container inside, and a screened patio may not be sufficient protection.

o
RE: Grass in container ?

I had a really close look at your picture & I would be willing to bet that it is Phlaris and I think it would be fine in your porch or ... if you like the look of it, you could always overwinter it indoors ....

I always tend to err on the side of caution & tend to agree with donn. I have always dug my pots of grass into the veggie garden over the winter. However, since moving north another 1.5 zones, I am finding that I am probably over-cautious. Many of the nurseries up here overwinter their perennial pots outdoors & above ground - yikes eh?.

Note: I still dig my potted hostas & grasses into the ground - then I don't worry about watering & I know that they will survive.
A.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here