Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

question about Miscanthus 'gracillimus' bloom time

kentstar
14 years ago

I have a 2 year old clump of gracillimus in my front yard. It looks gorgeous and is still pretty green. However, it has not bloomed this year yet. If others up north have this grass, when does it bloom for you? Shouldn't it be blooming by now? It bloomed fine last year.

Comments (6)

• terrene
    14 years ago

Hi Kent, saw your post on the cutting Maiden grass thread. My Miscanthus Gracillimus is starting to bloom now, but it's very late this year. It's still not quite yet in full bloom and some of the fronds are starting to yellow around the edges. So it's not really a great year for them.

I've got pictures from 2006 and 2008 and they show the Gracillimus and Variegatus starting to bloom in early October. I suspect that the cool and rainy weather from early June-late July set back these plants. The heat-loving annuals and veggies also suffered this summer.

This is from last year on October 4th -

{{gwi:872776}}

• achnatherum
    14 years ago

In my old zone 5 garden Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus' & closely related M.s. 'Morning Light' were always the last grasses to bloom AND .. many years, if we got a cool/cold period in September they never did bloom.
    I actually quite like the shape of both these grasses before they bloom.
    Maybe next year ....

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I may have figured out what might have happened. Last fall, and before I knew better :), I cut back the grass to the ground in winter. I thought it was like other perennials that one might cut back to the ground late fall/early winter. Maybe I cut off future blooms?
    So, this year I won't cut back at all. In spring I will only cut back to about 10 inches and see if this helps with blooming in the fall next year. If not, then maybe I'll need to divide already.

• donn_
    14 years ago

"Maybe I cut off future blooms?"

Nope. The above ground plant material is dead after the plant goes dormant. It has nothing to do with future blooms. It's best to cut it back to a few inches in early spring.

• achnatherum
    14 years ago

if you want a Miscanthus that blooms reliably, every year, in your zone - buy another cultivar. Look for ones with an earlier bloom time - there are a number of them out there.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love the look of my gracillimus, I just was pondering why it didn't bloom yet. It's so wispy and graceful. It looks beautiful when the wind blows through it. It can stay and oh well, if I don't get any blooms, there's always next year.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions