Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there something I'm missing here?

Posted by Gingerroottx 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 05 at 21:38

gasp!

Landscapers around here are already cutting back a lot of Miscanthus and Pampas grasses to the ground, even before their leaves turned brown. It should almost be considered a crime. Is there some advantage in cutting them back so prematurely? I usually cut mine back once they start dropping dead blades around in the yard that are hard to pick up, but I'm not used to seeing them cut down to clumps in early Fall.

humm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there something I'm missing here?

There is no valid reason NOT to be able to cut them back now, although a primary reason for planting OG's (at least to my eyes) is for their winter interest. But commercial landscapers and groundskeepers tend to work to a schedule of their own, often dictated by their clients' wishes. Tidiness and the general winter prep and clean-up that occurs at this time of year is probably motivating this action.

There was a long discussion of this same situation on this forum last season. Perhaps a search of the archives will turn it up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here