Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Divide now or wait until Spring?

Posted by Gingerroottx 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 05 at 21:45

I have a decent sized clump of Maiden grass I'd like to get a start from and replant nearby. It's beginning to get chilly here in NC but no freezing temps yet. Would it be wiser to wait until Spring or do you think I can pull it off now without any complications?

thanks for your advice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Divide now or wait until Spring?

I'd wait until spring. Warm season grasses like Miscanthus enter a period of root dormancy in late summer or fall which makes dividing them late season somewhat problematical. Since the roots are not in active growth like they are with many other plants at this time of year, it is iffy whether the division will take over the winter. For best results, I'd wait until late winter or early spring when new growth begins and you typically do your cutting back for the season.

Ditto with your proposal to snag a clump of J. blood grass from the restaurant planting in another thread :-)

o

Do what the Miscanthus is doing: chill. Wait until Spring when success should be guaranteed.

o

• Posted by Katt 5b (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 21, 05 at 21:59

Definitely give it a Spring dividing,they all seem to take their time rooting and settling in,likely won't achieve full height the first Summer,but....wouldn't you rather move when the weather is only going to get better?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here