Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pennisetum Princess

Posted by grass_guy 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 15, 06 at 21:47

Here's a photo of Pennisetum Princess. If anyone is growing this or its brother, Pennisetum Prince, I'd love to know what zone its growing in and if it has had winter success.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pennisetum Princess

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 16, 06 at 6:41

I plan to include both 'Prince' and 'Princess' in one of my coops next year, assuming I can find a vendor who will sell me liners. I have a good deal of interest in both of them, from both warm and cool zones. If I find a source, I intend to trial them in Z7.

o

Very nice!!
What is the species?? With such a wide leaf it doesn't look like P. setaceum .....
It sure would be nice if one of these 'purple-leaved' pennisetums were at least hardy enough to over-winter in my garage (0C /32F).

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 16, 06 at 9:01

A, they're Pennisetum purpureum cultivars, introduced by Allan Armitage and Athens Select.

Athens Select

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here