Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achnatherum

don't be too jealous

achnatherum
17 years ago

I lucked out at a local nursery's 'construction sale' And bought 65 pots of grasses today. 60 2 gal pots and 5 3 gal pots ........ all at $2 each!!

I still have to plant them all!!

AND in zone 5 with November fast approaching :o(

fingers crossed that they all survive the winter.

A.

Comments (21)

• donn_
    17 years ago

Wow! What a score!

How about a list?

Listen, drive them all down here, and I'll donate some nice balmy zone 7 bed space where you can winter them over. ;>)

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

Lucky you! That's a steal. I'd like to know what you got too. I'll cross my fingers they all survive nicely. You must have lots of acreage to plant on!

Jen

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the offer Donn but I think you would get too attached to them :o)

List is easy as I didn't get a lot of variety.
    unless mentioned all are 2 gallon pots
    (5) 3 gallon pots Miscanthus giganteus
    (3) Miscanthus giganteus (bought them the day before - didn't know the 3 gals were the same price :o(
    (2) Miscanthus s. 'Variegatus'
    (3) no label similar to, but not 'Variegatus'
    (10) Miscanthus s. 'Silberfeder'
    (10) Miscanthus s. 'Graziella'
    (30) Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster
    (2) 5" pots Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'

They also had Miscanthus s. 'Sarabande', purpurescens, 'Gracillimus', Pennisetum alopecuroides & Pennisetum a. Hameln ~ but I already have more than enough of these and ..... you have to draw the line somewhere.

In addition I bought 40+ high priced hostas & about 50 other assorted, nice perennials AND the big coo 3 pots of clumping bamboo that I have been eyeing all summer and waiting for a 1/2 price sale ~ they were selling at $59. (All for the $2/pot price tag)

I stood up at a wine and cheese party Saturday nite and said " Hello, my name is Dale & I am a plantaholic" It was a party populated with folk from the law school and the economics department. Needless to say they thought I was ..... strange :o)

A.

• donn_
    17 years ago

Holy Fertilizer! I guess we know what you're gonna be doing for the month of November. You have enough space for ~175 new plants?

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donn,
    Closer to 150 plants but, who's counting :o)

The hostas are all 'de-potted' or is it 'un-potted', crappy potting soil washed off the roots and planted in a pile of composted sawdust (it is lovely soil).

Many of the assorted perennials were ferns and other woodlanders ~ I have a couple of acres of woodland that I am just starting to garden. (old xmas tree land)

Today and tomorrow I am off to pick up 5 or 6 yards of Mushroom compost (also on sale) This I will stock-pile and at least half of the grasses will be healed in there. The others will be planted in the veggie garden over the winter. I will deal with the survivors in the spring. Hopefully there will be lots!!!
    a.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Congrats on you lucky deal!

• Pudge 2b
    17 years ago

I am quite simply green with envy. What a deal!

• highalttransplant
    17 years ago

Okay, I'm not sure I'm even allowed to be snooping around in this forum, as I purchased my first ornamental grasses this summer, but I couldn't help but laugh at your comment about standing up and confessing you're a "plantaholic". I've dabbled at gardening for years, but since we've bought our first new home this year, I have become somewhat obsessed with gardening. For several weeks this summer, packages were arriving on a regular basis from several mail order companies, and my husband would tease me by saying "you need a 12 step program...Hello, my name is Bonnie, and I'm addicted to browsing mail order catalogs, buying plants, planting plants, moving plants around...etc., etc."

Anyway, I thought I would just let you know that you can feel at home here, with your fellow addicts! : )

• alchemilla
    17 years ago

150 new babies at super discount prices???? WOW!!!! simply fantastic! I envy you A., and I'm looking forward to seeing your 30 Karl Foerster in their magnificent bloom.

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to all of you for not saying I was crazy. It also helped when a friend emailed to say that she had been to the same sale & bought 270 plants!

Bonnie, welcome to the OG forum! Thanks for sharing your addiction. You are really in trouble ~ I've been at it (gardening) for 20+ years & the addiction has been building over that time. It sounds like you jumped in with both feet :o) Think what you'll be like in 10 or 20 years!

a.

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

I'm planning to start a lot of grasses from seed next spring. But a few years ago a mini rose nursery was going out of business and selling plants for $1 then $.50 so I bought 200+. I still use all the little 2.25" pots when transplanting seedlings under lights.:-)

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

so ..... how many of those bargin roses survived??
    I would hate to tally up all my 'deaths' in the garden.
    I especially wouldn't like to know the success/failure rate of all the things I have grown from seed over the years :o(

Hemnancy are you looking for OG seed?
    a.

• donn_
    17 years ago

There are no failures in my garden. Seeds which don't germinate are bird food, and plants which don't grow are compost.;>)

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Definitely a 'glass is half full' kinda person :o)

Here is the grass loot from the sale. It doesn't look like nearly as much once it is all planted

• donn_
    17 years ago

That's a very subtle berm in that second pic. ;>)

Did you bury the pots, or actually plant them out?

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donn,
    The pots are buried. I actually did plant out a couple of the Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster' ~ it will be interesting to see if they survive being planted so late. That is the added bonus of getting plants on sale - you can afford to experiment.
    a.

• mygardenrocks
    17 years ago

A. What a great buy! I know the feeling you're having. Three years ago we bought a house and 12 acres, 8 woodland, (also an old Christmas tree farm) that had no landscaping done to the back yard. I promised my husband I wouldn't start outside until we finished the inside, but that Fall a huge nursery went out of business and I went to the auction praying for cold and rain, which it ended up being. (That just left us addicts!). I bought around 60 shrubs and perenials, a large landscaped show bed, and 11 ornamental trees, all for $300. (That was the price tag on ONE of the trees) Gardeners were jealous, everyone else thought I was crazy. We put alot of the pots next to the east side of our house and the rest of them we put close together and pushed dirt up against the outside pots (similar to your bottom picture). We had a typical Ohio winter, zone 5b, and transplanted and planted everything in the Spring and lost nothing!
    I had no grasses, but would love to plant some around our pool this year. I'm trying to learn a little about them before I make my decisions as to what to buy.
    I will post some pictures of how I utilized my great buy, and maybe get some suggestions on what grasses would suit my landscaping. Congrats on YOUR great buy!

cathy

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cathy, thanks for the positive input. Nice to hear that all your sale purchases survived over winter in your zone 5 garden.
    We will look forward to seeing your garden pics.
    a.

• anna_beth
    17 years ago

I love that berm !! :-) I wish my garden was so orderly and I had the strength to move heaps of soil around to cover all the pots and plants that need it. Great bed with the grasses, too.

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Anna Beth!
    The bed with the grasses is one of our veggy patches.

a/

• newbie_2007
    16 years ago

A:
    Where did you get the grass plants? I need sources in z5 sw Ontario.
    r

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions