Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Ornamental grasses from seed?

This is my first time on this forum. I was hoping to find a FAQ for all my dumb grass questions (questions dumb, not grass. Grass pretty).

Can you grow ornamental grasses from seed? I mean, heck, they make so much seed. Is it tricky to germinate or something?

Comments (15)

• donn_
    17 years ago

Growing grass from seed is one of my favorite things. Here's my list so far:

Anthoxanthum odoratum.. Sweet Vernal Grass
    Briza maxima.. Annual Quaking Grass
    Briza media.. Quaking Grass
    Calamagrostis brachytricha..Fall Blooming Feather Reed Grass
    Carex comans 'Bronze Form'..Bronze New Zealand Hair Sedge
    Carex grayi.. Gray's Sedge
    Carex muskingumensis.. Palm Sedge
    Chasmanthium latifolium.. Northern Sea Oats
    Cortaderia selloana.. Pampas Grass
    Deschampsia caespitosa.. Tufted Hairgrass
    Eragrostis spectabilis.. Purple Love Grass
    Festuca gigantea.. Giant Fescue
    Festuca glauca.. Blue Fescue
    Festuca mairei.. Maire's Fescue
    Festuca scoparia.. syn. Festuca gautieri..Bearskin Fescue
    Helictotrichon sempervirens..Blue Oat Grass
    Hystrix patula.. Bottlebrush Grass
    Lagurus ovatus.. Bunny Tails - Annual
    Luzula nivea.. Snowy Woodrush
    Luzula sylvatica.. Greater Woodrush
    Miscanthus sinensis 'Central Park'..Maiden Grass
    Miscanthus sinensis.. 'New Hybrids'..Maiden Grass, Eulalia Grass
    Nassella tenuissima.. Mexican Feather Grass
    Panicum virgatum.. Switch Grass
    Panicum virgatum 'Strictum'..Switch Grass
    Pennisetum glaucum 'Purple Majesty'..Ornamental Millet..Annual
    Pennisetum alopecuroides.. Fountain Grass
    Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Moudry'.. Black Seeded Fountain Grass
    Pennisetum orientale..Oriental Fountain Grass
    Saccharum ravennae..Ravenna Grass
    Sesleria caerulea.. Blue Moor Grass
    Setaria faberi.. Giant Foxtail - Annual
    Sporobolus heterolepis..Prairie Dropseed
    Stipa capillata.. Feather Grass
    Tridens flavus.. Purple Top

It's easy to do. I use winter sowing techniques, and start them outdoors.

The best single source for seeds is Jelitto which is currently listing 170 different kinds. Don't worry that they're in Germany, they ship US orders from Louisville, KY.

• alchemilla
    17 years ago

Donn, your list is impressive!!

I'm planning too to grow some grasses from seed this winter. Here's the seeds I have, all collected in public parks in France during my holidays: stipa tenuissima, pennisetum Purple Majesty, penn. villosum and a black flowered pennisetum (Moudry?).

When do you think it is the best time to sow them in zone 9a? Thanks!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm impressed too!
    If collected from a plant, how do you tell if the seed is ripe? And isn't there a possibility that it has cross-pollinated with a different kind of grass?

• donn_
    17 years ago

Alchemilla..I'd sow all of them in early spring. They'll all need temps in the 70F+ range to germinate, with 'Moudry' germinating a little cooler.

P. villosum is zone 9-10 hardy, so you might want to give it the warmest microclimate in your garden. 'Purple Majesty' is an annual. In my zone, in a container, it reached 5'+ this year, so give it room. 'Moudry' is an aggressive reseeder, so watch for that. Stipa tenuissima (now called Nassella tenuissima) is an erratic germinator, which will sprout over a long period of time. Mine have started sprouting in early May, and kept sprouting into July.

linnea56..grass seed is ripe when it falls off the seedhead/plume/panicle by itself. The best way to check is to use a large paper grocery bag. Bend a plume down into the bag and shake it gently. If the seed is ready, it'll fall off in the bag. At this point, I strip the plume right into the bag. Different plumes on the same plant ripen at different times.

Cross-pollination generally isn't much of a problem with grasses, but they will frequently vary from the parent to some extent. If you grow several different cultivars of one type of grass together in the same bed, you'll get more variation in seedgrown plants.

Named cultivars can almost be counted on to grow differently from seed. Most commonly, they revert to the species. Seed from species grasses come true much more regularly. The most common differences in seed-grown grasses from named cultivars is in lack of colors and variegation.

• wackyweeder
    17 years ago

Will the purple majesty seed more or less true since its an F1 hybrid? I saved my seed this year and was going to experiment, since I paid almost 5 dollars for 8 seeds. ouch.

• donn_
    17 years ago

I grew 'Purple Majesty' from seeds in a trade this year, and they weren't quite as purple as in the photos from the seed vendors. That may be because I had them in containers, and not in full sun. The did, however hit 5' tall and bore several seed stalks each. I'd estimate they got to 50/50 purple/green. Very attractive grass, which I'll try in the ground in full sun next year.

• grass_guy
    17 years ago

donn, i just returned from Orlando and saw that Disney was using Purple Majesty extensively in their park's landscaping. Everywhere from containers to massed plantings. It looked very nice. I'm still trying to get past my wife's 'burnt corn' comment...lol.

• donn_
    17 years ago

As fast as it grows here, it must be a holy terror in Orlando. Do they grow them from plugs, or start them from seed? Do places like Disney World run their own greenhouses and landscape operations, or do they farm it out?

• grass_guy
    17 years ago

I'm sure they bring them in as plugs or likely larger.

Disney has greenhouse operations on the property, owned by Disney. They can grow things on or just hold for a while.

• joshward_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I am thinking of growing Stipa tenuissima from seed. Is this easy and reliable? ALso I am told they are evergreen but have just looked on a coouple of sites that say they need cutting back in spring and die in Winter. Which is right?
    CHeers.
    J

• donn_
    16 years ago

Josh, They're both right. Stipa (now renamed Nassella) tenuissima is evergreen in warm climates, however it isn't even reliably hardy in zones colder than 7. I grow them from seed, and I cut them back in early spring.

Here's a trio, guarding one of my onion beds:

{{gwi:379516}}

That pic was taken on April 24, after the grasses had been trimmed on March 31. Here's what they look like today:

{{gwi:873134}}

They were in gallon pots when I trimmed them, after spending the winter buried in the top of my compost bin. They were about 1/3 green and 2/3 brown.

• friesfan1
    16 years ago

I love Mexican Feather grass, however, for my zone
    it won't last the winter :-(

I see that some people have what
    looks like a MF look alike grass, but have no idea
    what it really is. I was told it was morning light miscathus.
    But I don't believe so, since I just purchased several.
    They are not alike in texture.

I even bought some from the green house, [ the
    look alike plant] that they dug up
    for me, which I think is misnamed. It survives every
    winter for them. Mine however died. We had a sudden
    freeze, with temps down into the teens for two days.

I would love a replacement plant, but won't ask.
    Maybe I should have mulched this as well!

Mary
    z 5b KS

• rdgfldplantnut
    15 years ago

donn - I see you are in LI zone 7 - I am in CT zone 6a I was wondering if Stipa tenuissima might have a chance at surviving here whether started from seed, planted outside for summer then brought in for the winter or just left out all year ? I have a full sun, dry hill it would be perfect on. thanks.

• dawgie
    15 years ago

I've had great success growing Blue Fescue from seed, although the seedlings will vary (one of mine was green without a tinge of blue). I've also had a lot of Mexican feather grass and River oats (Chasmanthium latifolium) come up as volunteers from seeds. River oats is actually quite weedy in that regard.

• terrene
    15 years ago

I have winter-sown six types of grasses this year. Most of them are native prairie grasses.

Androprogon gerardii - Big bluestem
    Bouteloua curtipendula - Side oats grama
    Chasmanthium latifolium - Northern sea oats or River oats
    Lagurus ovatus - Bunny Tail grass
    Schizachyrium scoparium - Little bluestem
    Sorgastrum nutans - Indian grass

I winter-sowed them April 12, in 1 and 2 liter bottles, with little hunks of seeds. The plan was to get plugs of grasses going this year. After an unusally warm stretch in mid-late April, most were sprouted by the end of April.

Still waiting on the Chasmanthium, which has not sprouted yet. Supposedly it can be a good reseeder, so I'm not expecting it to be difficult to sprout, and the seeds are commercial purchased this year. Maybe it just needs warmer temps than the others.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA