Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELICTOTRICHON s. 'Sapphire'

Posted by newbie_2007 5b ON (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 8, 09 at 0:43

I planted this grass last month and just wanted to confirm the facts I have seen at two nursery data sheets.
They say no maintenance, just use a plactic comb to clean it up. No cutting back. Just thought I'd check with my mentors here.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELICTOTRICHON s. 'Sapphire'

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 8, 09 at 12:30

In my zone, all I have to do is clean out dead blades. I use latex coated gloves, and it works great. In your zone, you have much more serious winters, and H. sempervirens will probably be less evergreen. If it looks especially ratty after winter, cut it back to a few inches.

o

I checked at the local nursery here in my town and they say semi/evergreen. Have other places here growing it too for display in their lanscape entrance ways, so I'll take their lead.
Thanks Donn, right on as usual.

o

I was given a few more from a garden sale. Too much rain to prep a new place for them. The grass is straw coloured and in the garage but were blue/green when I got them. Has it gone dormant? The soil has almost dried out and I need to know if I should keep them watered over the winter or plant pot and all in my veggie garden until spring? I also have 5 hostas, same thing. Snow expected next week. Did I miss the boat or will they stay sleeping until I water in the spring when planting?
There is very little light in the garage and it usually has a temperature of zero in the coldest time of winter.

o

If these pots are in your garage, you need to water them once in a while during the winter, not too often however. Once the soil is completely dried out, they will be dead, not just dormant.

o

Thanks ontnative.
I gave them a splash of water a few days ago and they seem to be ok. A little greener now. Guess I caught it in time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here