Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbie_2007

Cutting back OG after first year

newbie_2007
16 years ago

I'm new to this and will start my first berm this Spring. No trimming needed first year. Are all the warm season OG's cut back close to the ground and would hedge trimmers be ok to use in early Spring the next year and there after. Then what to do with the cutings. That's a lot of grass. IÂd love to compost but a burn might be needed. I don't think this is considered hay so the farmers might not want it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rory

Comments (9)

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

Yes, hedge trimmers are fine to cut back warm or cool season grasses, this only refers to when they get started again. You may want to tape the clump together with duct tape, keeps it from flopping around, and it's easier to handle.

• newbie_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info.
    Tie Up Grasses was good (I didn't get any audio) but from what I saw the grasses were only being stabilized. Are most of the tall OG's needing tie ups to keep them from flopping? I guess being tied like that would allow me to sweep the stand with a hedge trimmer in the Spring. Where do ya put all the cuttings? Burn compost or hay for farmers?

• webkat5
    16 years ago

Don't cut them too close to the ground when you do so....leave at least 6 inches....8 is better.

• achnatherum
    16 years ago

Rory,
    RE: what to do with the trimmings.
    Yes, you could burn but ...
    First, check your local ordenances - burning my not be allowed.
    Second, you will find that many of the larger grasses such as the Miscanthus loose most of their leaves over the winter AND the stalks really don't burn very easily. I used a torch one year & still couln't get them to burn satisfactorily. On the other hand Pennisetums burn FAST - almost scary fast!
    So .. as I hate to send anything compostable to the dump I have have been composting my OG clippings. I keep them in a separate round from the other compost because they take twice as long to break down. Chopped up as small as you can manage using a woodchipper or whatever you can manage, OG clippings will provide you with straw like mulch in year one & lovely compost in year 2.

A.
    btw, I use a bale chopper but then I have a lot of grasses to chop up in the spring :o)

Bluestem has a nice little article on cutting back grasses

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem Nursery - cutting back

• newbie_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A~
    Thanks for the link and the composting/burn info.
    Any Winter pics of the berms? I looked at your photobucket again and didn't see anything new. I know you got lots of snow and I was just wondering how your grasses have held up with the wind and snow. We had two feet and winds over 60 km. Then a big melt last week to be covered again with another foot of powder before Christmas.
    Looking fwd to planting the grasses this spring.
    Rory

• achnatherum
    16 years ago

Rory,
    We haven't had nearly as much snow as you BUT we have had incredibly high winds (gusts up to 90km).
    Although it has been a hard winter for the grasses, the wet snow has knocked them down and the winds have 'de-fluffed' them, some of them just keep on looking good!

two images of the berm taken today, January 2, 2008.

• newbie_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A:
    Thanks for the pics. Pic 2. Miscanthus 'Malepartus' in winter?
    Rory

Thanks for starting the other thread for photos.

• achnatherum
    16 years ago

yes - pic 2 is mostly 'Malepartus' in the winter

• adichristi
    16 years ago

portlandhigh, I wish I had seen your post before. Next year I am going to tie ours up.

Now that they are flat, I guess I can cut them back. That's what the video said.

Sponsored
More Discussions