Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's this grass?

Posted by weeddummie ACT Aust (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 6:05

Hi all,

Does anyone know what this grass with fluffy flowers could be?

photo

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's this grass?

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 9:24

The flower looks a bit like Saccharum ravennae, and seems to extend well above the foliage, like S. ravennae.

Do you have a photo of the whole plant? Dimensions?

o

Thanks donn.

Dimensions are about less than 0.5 metres. A couple more photos below.

Wonder if it's a problem in my area?

o

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 29, 10 at 9:15

It isn't S. ravennae, from which the flower stalks will extend up to 4 meters over 1 meter foliage. The flowers look similar, however, and it looks like there is a white mid-vein stripe on the foliage...another similarity.

Here is my stand of three S. ravennae this year:

Photobucket

The plant you show looks like it has been mowed down during the growing season, witness several stubby green leaves with squared edges.

I don't know what hardiness zone you are in, but many very flowery grasses will reseed in temperate zones.

o

Wow, dimensions do matter! Looks like it'll be a tough one to ID - will keep looking around. The only mowing this area gets is either by the kangaroos, wild rabbits, wombat or some other animal I think :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here