Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smaller ornamental grasses

Posted by meslgh DFW 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 11:18

I'm preparing a new full sun garden bed with roses and other plants, and I'm contemplating also using ornamental grasses. I'm interested in some of the smaller grasses, less than 3' tall, but I'm not sure which one would be most suitable. I've seen information about Bouteloua 'Blonde Ambition', the various small Pennisetums (Little Piglet, Little Bunny, Hameln), and Miscanthus 'Little Kitten'. Can you compare these and tell me which you would recommend? (If there is information about my garden you need to help answer the question, just let me know!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smaller ornamental grasses

Well, i have not much idea about that , but in my opinion Miscanthus and Pennisetums can be a better option.

o
RE: Smaller ornamental grasses

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 16:10

I'm not an expert on ornamental grass, but I'd like to offer some suggestions anyway ;-)

Do a little research on each grass you are considering. Compare how roses will be tended in the same bed to the grass requirements.

Check to see which grasses can handle the amount of water you give your roses...

Some miscanthus may like as much water as roses and some pennisetum may like it dryer...I'm sure it varies between each variety of OG.

Your rose fertilizer regimen is another consideration when choosing an ornamental grass.

hth,
Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here