Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Muhly grass

Posted by petiej 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 5, 08 at 12:31

I'm in lower NC and have seen pink muhly grass in only one place; in a small public park. I have found a local nursery who carries it in very small quantites. It is beautiful in it's pink blooming stage! I'd love to get some if it's low to no maintenance and doesn't get out of control. What does it look like when it doesn't have its tufts; how long do they last? In general, how does one care for it,etc. Any info, greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Muhly grass

Muhlenbergia capillaris is one of my favorites in the fall. It's a great grass to use in a flowering annual and perennial display. Plant them in groups of 3 or more for a massed effect. As your perennial flowers hit late summer, this grass will be the new highlight of the bed.

Blooming starts in late summer and continues through fall. When its not in bloom, it looks like a wire grass, green upright/arching clump. The foliage is not a showoff and it's time to shine is definitely when in full bloom.

You don't really have to cut back muhly grass in spring unless it takes a winter thrashing. Clean through with a rake like you're combing the grass. If you want to trim back, don't take them to the ground like you would some other grasses...maybe 12" from the ground.

Muhly can do some re-seeding in the bed, but volunteers are pretty easy to pull out...and replant elsewhere if you like.

The link below is a great video of muhly in the landscape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Muhlenbergia capillaris video

o

Can't seem to find this grass listed in the UK, or a possible var. filipes which in one reference is said to be an improvement on capillaris. Is it possible this grass does not flower in our temperate climate ?

o

Planted some Prairie muhly seed,which gave me a good growth. Will see if they overwinter in our zone 3 area.

o

I have never seen any of this except in pictures and think it is beautiful and would love to have a clump. Would you be willing to share or trade? Thanks in advance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here