Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Overwintering these Grasses in pots

terrene
16 years ago

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. Over Veteran's day weekend, a local nursery was having a sale on perennials and grasses - $5.00 or less as marked. I couldn't resist taking home WAY too many plants. They were jumping onto my cart right and left. ;)

I have a few older grasses in the garden, Miscanthus and 'Karl Foerster', and a few I've planted this year. But apparently I wanted A LOT more grasses and the nursery had a great selection of native cultivars.

Grasses I bought:

3 Calamagrostis 'Overdam'

1 Calamagrostis 'El dorado'

3 Sporobolis heteroleptis

2 Panicum amarum 'Blue Dewey'

9 Panicum virgatum 'Shenandoah'

2 Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal'

3 Deschamsia cespitosa

3 Miscanthus purpurenscens

1 Pennisetum 'Cassian'

I've spent the past week planting a few of these grasses, namely the Calamagrostis 'Overdam' and a couple Panicum virgatum (experiment?) and sinking most of them into the ground in their pots. I was also thinking of overwintering some against the house, sheltered from too much cold and wind, and mulched heavily with leaves. This has worked for most of my pots in the past but I'm not sure about grasses.

What do you think is the best thing to do?

Here is everything I bought, just couldn't help myself:

{{gwi:261980}}

Here is an example of some Panicum vir. 'Shenandoah' sunk into the ground in their pots.

{{gwi:873456}}

Here is one of the 'Overdam' I planted straight into the ground, I have no idea if they will make it being planted this late, but figured they might have a chance since it's a cool season grass?

{{gwi:873457}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions