Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniellalell

dwarf pampas grass

daniellalell
16 years ago

Hi, I purchased some dwarf pampas grass over the summer..I thought they were supposed to get the pink showy plumes in the fall? It has grown alot since i bought it, it is now about 5 ft, and if I stand up the leaves its almost 10 ft. But there is no sign of any pretty plumes on their way! I know we have been having wacky weather..NJ just saw the warmest Oct on record and we haven't even had our killing frost yet..my annuals are still blooming and looking beautiful...even my coleus...I also still have my mandevilla outside day and night, and it's goin to town! It just bothers me that I don't have any plumes yet.

Am I just being impatient?

Any ideas?

Daniella

Comments (10)

• achnatherum
    16 years ago

Daniella,
    I am guessing that your grass will probably bloom next year. Although I don't grow Pampas grass (not hardy in my area), often grasses take a season to get established before they gather up enough energy to bloom.
    a.

• birdsrwonderful
    16 years ago

Hi Daniella,
    My experience with pampas grass (not the dwarf) was that it took it about 3 years to bloom for the first time. It grew very tall but no blooms. I had grown very discouraged and was thinking about removing it and then late one summer day I glanced at the area where it was planted and it was magnificient!! Every year since it has been beautiful. So just give it a little more time.

• caroline_2008
    16 years ago

I have had a pink pampas grass now for 3 years, and it greens ever spring and summer and not a sign of blooms, I cut it down to about 12 or so inches in Feb. and it starts putting green leaves on and looks good. I have tried all the hints I have heard. I too am thinking of taking it out if it doesnt bloom this year. One in fron of a store here in town has bloomed every year and the first year too. It is the white blooms. I like them so well , am thinking of getting another one

• patches_02
    16 years ago

Mine always bloom the next year after planting. I'm always dividing mine and by the next year it blooms. Don't do anything special. Some of it i cut down in late fall others i have left till spring.

• royalchild777_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

yes I planted my dwarf pampas grass last year and mine bloomed this year. My question now is can I divide the grass and how this year. Also do you have to cut it back at a certain time? Thank you for your time, royalchild777

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Up date, I posted in Jan. W ell I had a big surprise last week, I had read that the pampass grass does not like a lot
    of water, SO, I never gave it any water this year and it has shot a plume stem up and I can see the tassel a bit.
    I was so excited. I planted it in April 2006. Some said
    it would take 3 or 4 years, even my nursery man said, 'just get rid of it'. It is pink pampass and is about 5 ft tall, I cut it to the ground ever year in Feb.
    And it would green up and fill out again quick, so don't give up yet. Good luck to all of you, caroline

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf pampass grass

• ayotte
    14 years ago

I have 2 dwarf pampas planted in whiskey barrels that are 3 years old and HAVE bloomed last year. I don't remember when they started showing green last year but they haven't shown a thing so far this year. Am I being impatient? Also, they get overspray from the pasture irrigation and I see black spots in the stems (cut back), is this a type of mold? Are they gonners? I was thinking about digging them up to divide them if they are still alive....shouldn't I be able to tell that from the roots?

• britdesign
    12 years ago

Are the plumes cut off each year?

• donn_
    12 years ago

If the foliage remains evergreen in your climate, all you need to do is cut back the flower stems. If the foliage gets tired looking in the winter, cut the whole plant back to a few inches in the late winter/early spring.

• britdesign
    12 years ago

Foliage is fine so off come the Plumes.
    Thanks for your help.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions