Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf pampas grass

Posted by daniellalell NJ 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 07 at 14:01

Hi, I purchased some dwarf pampas grass over the summer..I thought they were supposed to get the pink showy plumes in the fall? It has grown alot since i bought it, it is now about 5 ft, and if I stand up the leaves its almost 10 ft. But there is no sign of any pretty plumes on their way! I know we have been having wacky weather..NJ just saw the warmest Oct on record and we haven't even had our killing frost yet..my annuals are still blooming and looking beautiful...even my coleus...I also still have my mandevilla outside day and night, and it's goin to town! It just bothers me that I don't have any plumes yet.
Am I just being impatient?
Any ideas?
Daniella

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf pampas grass

Daniella,
I am guessing that your grass will probably bloom next year. Although I don't grow Pampas grass (not hardy in my area), often grasses take a season to get established before they gather up enough energy to bloom.
a.

o

Hi Daniella,
My experience with pampas grass (not the dwarf) was that it took it about 3 years to bloom for the first time. It grew very tall but no blooms. I had grown very discouraged and was thinking about removing it and then late one summer day I glanced at the area where it was planted and it was magnificient!! Every year since it has been beautiful. So just give it a little more time.

o

I have had a pink pampas grass now for 3 years, and it greens ever spring and summer and not a sign of blooms, I cut it down to about 12 or so inches in Feb. and it starts putting green leaves on and looks good. I have tried all the hints I have heard. I too am thinking of taking it out if it doesnt bloom this year. One in fron of a store here in town has bloomed every year and the first year too. It is the white blooms. I like them so well , am thinking of getting another one

o

Mine always bloom the next year after planting. I'm always dividing mine and by the next year it blooms. Don't do anything special. Some of it i cut down in late fall others i have left till spring.

o

yes I planted my dwarf pampas grass last year and mine bloomed this year. My question now is can I divide the grass and how this year. Also do you have to cut it back at a certain time? Thank you for your time, royalchild777

o

Up date, I posted in Jan. W ell I had a big surprise last week, I had read that the pampass grass does not like a lot
of water, SO, I never gave it any water this year and it has shot a plume stem up and I can see the tassel a bit.
I was so excited. I planted it in April 2006. Some said
it would take 3 or 4 years, even my nursery man said, 'just get rid of it'. It is pink pampass and is about 5 ft tall, I cut it to the ground ever year in Feb.
And it would green up and fill out again quick, so don't give up yet. Good luck to all of you, caroline

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf pampass grass

o

• Posted by ayotte Washington Z6- (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 12:28

I have 2 dwarf pampas planted in whiskey barrels that are 3 years old and HAVE bloomed last year. I don't remember when they started showing green last year but they haven't shown a thing so far this year. Am I being impatient? Also, they get overspray from the pasture irrigation and I see black spots in the stems (cut back), is this a type of mold? Are they gonners? I was thinking about digging them up to divide them if they are still alive....shouldn't I be able to tell that from the roots?

o

Are the plumes cut off each year?

o

If the foliage remains evergreen in your climate, all you need to do is cut back the flower stems. If the foliage gets tired looking in the winter, cut the whole plant back to a few inches in the late winter/early spring.

o

Foliage is fine so off come the Plumes.
Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here