Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianl0646

Pampas grass not blooming

brianl0646
18 years ago

I have a pretty big cluster of pampas grass about 3 years old, and it has not ever sent up plumes. It is in a fairly sunny location, any ideas?

Comments (6)

• jean001
    18 years ago

Needs more than fairly sunny, particularly if your climate is on the cool side. Full sun is best, all day, every day.

• brianl0646
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am getting 10-12 Hours of direct sun a day spring through Summer, that should be enough shouldn't it? I see it blooming in shadier spots then I have. Any other ideas?

Briam

• addicted2wsing
    18 years ago

Do you cut it back in the spring to about 8". Some people burn it in the spring. Either way it rejuvinates it for fall blooming. Hope this helps.

Janet

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Pampas grass (Cortaderia) should only need rejuvenation pruning after it is well established and grown overly large with typical center dieout, not as an annual routine. If it was planted as a small start (1 gallon container), 3 years is not out of line with waiting for blooms - sometimes it happens faster, sometimes longer. Avoid excess watering, any fertilizing and be patient - it will happen :-)

• snickers_gardener
    18 years ago

We moved into our house last summer and I have a large area of pampas grass. I live in the northern part of the US and therefore have cold and snowy winters. My pampas grass is all laying down and brown from the cold and the snow laying on it. What do I need to do with it?

• donn_
    18 years ago

What zone are you in, Snickers?

Are you sure it's Pampas Grass?

Is it showing any sign of new green shoots coming up through the dead stuff?

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions