Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwntwn

Cutting back in the fall

dwntwn
17 years ago

I know you are SUPPOSED to wait until Spring to cut them back, but seriously I can NOT stand the mess they start to leave now all the way until Spring. CAN I cut them now??

Comments (7)

• donn_
    17 years ago

If you're talking about warm season grasses which have gone dormant, yes, you can cut them back in the fall. Depending on variety, however, I'd suggest just cutting them back to a foot or so, and allowing some fall leaves to fill in between the stalks, over the crown. You're in a cold zone, and some grasses like a little protection in winter. In late winter, clear out the accumulated leaves, and when the grasses break dormancy, cut the stalks back the rest of the way.

• whoosta
    17 years ago

I am new to the ornamental grass. I planted my first porcupine grass this past spring. If I cut it back will it grow back to 5 or 6 feet high?

• dereks
    17 years ago

whoosta, yes it will.

• whoosta
    17 years ago

dereks
    O.K. but do I NEED to cut back. If I don't cut back what will happen and will the winter snow hurt it?

• dereks
    17 years ago

Most people leave their grasses standing until spring. Snow won't hurt anything. In fact, a light snow is beautiful over the grass. A heavy snow will knock it over but it won't hurt it. Cut it back in spring and new growth will soon fill in.

• jake
    17 years ago

Like Derek said snow won't bother the grass at all. I have several very innteresting pictures taken of snow covered grasses and the winter scene is totally awesome.

Many people don't like the untidy mess that dormant or dead grass fronds cause around the yard or in the garden beds but HEY ! that's what nature does.

maybe in the warmer climates w/o snow I might want a cleaner or neater appearance but in the area I live the snow is really a sight changing adventure.

Can't wait for the snow to start falling, if seems we get less every year butr even a little is still worth the method of cutting grasses back in the spring.

Jake

• noki
    17 years ago

Many grasses are very attractive in the winter months and in the snow, much better than dirt. This autumn was very wet where I live, as well as early freezes, so the grass plants look sloppier than normal. Cut back any plants that bug you, you don't have to cut them all the way until spring, just what is bad

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions