Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jake_gw

What did you discover about OG's in '05?

jake
18 years ago

As I am someone who truly enjoys ornamental grasses I pose this question to all - " ... what have you learned, gathered in experiences and are willing to pass along from this past year of ornamental grass endeavors?"

Did you try a new grass that was better than your wildest dream?

Did you find out there is more work than just planting the grass, grabbing a chair, a refreshment and watching the grass grow?

Have you determined the best time to cut em back?

Have you mixed grasses and perennials / annuals to discover a truly awe inspiring combination that just blows your socks off?

What are your top 5 grasses that you would recommend to anyone?

Let the winter snows cover the past and hide the future. Let our dreams of tomorrow fester in our minds until the temperatures warm the gardens and starts the growing season anew.

Grey Goose up! One olive, please!

Jake

Comments (21)

• donn_
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hmmm...

I learned that 20" of rain in a month (October) that averages 3.5" is too much for Miscanthus, even in sharply-draining 50% sand soil. After a summer which had us 16" short of rain, the October Monsoons flopped 'em.

I learned that dealing with over 300 new grass plants in one season is way too much like work for this rumored no-care-needed perennial.

I learned that the Pink Muhly seed I traded for was really Eragrostis spectabilis. It's my favorite new grass this year. I also learned that it's seeds are among the smallest I've dealt with (the trade stuff was seeds/chaff), right down there with Delosperma and Campanula.

I learned that when you're sitting on your bucket, planting plugs of Heuchera in one bed, flopping Miscanthus plumes will tickle your ear, making you think the mosquitos have come back.

• jake
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Donn -
    Thank you for being the first to respond. I claim not to be a professional yet I have had numerous experiences to say I know something.

Hopefully we, you and I, and others will learn and pass along our knowledge and failures to others so that ornamental grasses will become a full time part of the landscape design.

Jake

P.S. B57 ..... where are you ???

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

I have learned there is wonderful advice being given by Donn, and Jake on this forum. I have directed some of my customers that really seem to be getting into grasses to it.

I also learned this year that ornamental grasses are becoming much more popular. Lucky for me. Once a customer sees a mature clump of Miscanthus, especially in bloom, they are sold.

I have suspected that fall planted Miscanthus do better than the experts state, however that is only my observation, and it could be because we have such snow cover. Last fall, in mid November, I found I had a flat I missed of two different Miscanthus, planted them in a row bed, and everyone survived and thrived. These were tiny 72 plugs.

Top five: oh wow, hard to narrow down to that many. I am partial to Miscanthus, so I would pick Gracillimus- does uniformly well, Nippon, lovely early blooms, wine red, in July, a smaller Miscanthus, Kaskade- extremely long drooping plumes. Then I would have to say Molinia Skyracer, I recommend it for the front of the perennial border. My last would be Carex Silver Sceptre for shade. OK I also really like Panicum Heavy Metal, especially in a formal setting.

My newest favorite is Miscanthus Super Stripe. Everyone seems to like the striped or variegated varieties, and this one seems to have more stripes per blade.

For the nurseryman grasses are much easier than many perennials. Once you do that cutting back, not much to it.

My favorite combo is Eupatorium Gateway, and Miscanthus Kaskade.

Keep up the good work guys. I really think grasses are the wave of the future for us nurserypeople, and appreciate you promoting them with proper, and clear advice.

Polly

• pezhead
    18 years ago

Hmmm...good post.

I learned that my Pen. 'Moudry' flowers later than others around town -- so late that it's flowers don't even really show even now in November.

I learned that Miscanthus sinensis 'Strictus' doesn't show bands at all until way past when i thought it would.

I learned the 'Karly Rose' Pennisetum is WAY taller than the straight Orientale.

I learned that Calamagrostis a. 'Karl Forester' and 'Overdam' are both quite susceptible to rust if the spring is moist and there is a vector like Hypericum nearby.

Miscanthus s. 'Graziella' is a terrific cultivar that flowers early and fully and has good fall color.

Wonderful combination -- Pennisetum Orientale and Penstemon 'Raven' -- both bloom over an incredibly long period and compliment each other wonderfully.

Cuphea llavea (Bat-faced Cuphea or 'Tiny Mice') is a terrific annual to accompany grasses in a full sun location.

Top 5 grasses at this point:

Panicum virgatum 'Hanse Herms'
    Miscanthus sinensis 'Graziella'
    Pennisetum Orientale/'Karly Rose'/Villosum all terrific if hardy in your area
    Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light' (popular with good reason)
    Schizachyrium scoparium 'The Blues'
    BONUS GRASS: Deschampsia cespitosa in masses in late/early light.

My list will be different next season!

Adieu.

• deep___roots
    18 years ago

First, I learned that you all are right. A garden that does not utilize OG's is poorer for that omission.

My grasses are becoming mature. The size, flowering plumes, the way light hits them, all are pluses. Ease of care is another big plus.

One combo that has grown up finally and looks good is this border: Rose (sunset colors on flowers), salvia rubesens (large spreading salvia with deep red flowers on black stems), Phormium (yellow fronds), Penstemon (a bed of many varieties), Phormium ("terra-cotta"), Japanese Silver Grass, Rose (dark pink flowers), Shasta Daisies.

I've learned to beware of the Stipa "ponytails" (a.k.a. Nasella T.) because under the waving flowering plumes there is usually lying an orange tabby who finds this an ideal hiding place....she blends in so well she is almost invisible. (She also likes to eat ornamental grasses...most varieties are apparently pretty tasty.)

I've learned that Muhlenbergia rigens in flower is quite out-of-this-world. Light plays magnificently on these thin whippy flower plumes and the bonus is they look positively alien.

5 faves:
    M. rigens
    Amanethele lessoniana (New Zealand Wind Grass)
    Stipa Ponytails (a seconding vote on this one from the orange tabby.)
    R. Nerviglum (Pink Crystals)(if you live in a cold area, I'm sorry you're missing this one year-round!)
    Karl Foerster (for being so adaptable, easy and gorgeous.)

Thanks for sharing.

• PPennypacker
    18 years ago

Jake -
    I learned that here by the cold, windy Atlantic I can plant row, upon row of easily germinated Nasella tenuissima (OK, Stipa)ONLY if I plant them by the southern warmth of the house foundation. Looks great though.

Learned what a lovely Fall combination Imperata cylindrica 'Red Baron' is with the large porcupine tufts of Festuca ovina, and the dark green and burgundy ground-covering leaves of what's left of the oenothera sp.

Learned that my fast-draining, sandy, alkaline, dry soil CAN grow and nurture Carex morrowii Ice Dance...IF I include one of the rainwater soaker hoses near it for added H2O. There she flourishes in the southern summer sun, just gorgeous! Thank you Barry Zinger!!!

I end this by writing that I learned that one Calamagrostis KF looks nice...OK, along with a few large flourishing Hem 'Kwanso' by it's side, but in a group of five to seven...now that the ticket!
    Thanks for the positive vent.
    Best,
    PP

• pezhead
    18 years ago

I agree with the tahnks for the post. After some nasty sniping in other posts it's a real treat to have an opportunity to simply share with others the things you've learned, the pieces and combinations in the garden that bring you joy.

Just checked out the Pink Crystals Ruby Grass and it's neat looking. What does it combine well with and what exposure do you have it in PP?

• PPennypacker
    18 years ago

Sorry pezhead -
    I think it is deep_roots you meant to write to that has that beautiful grass. I do wish that I could grow it here, but alas, only as an Annual. It's funny, as the grass you spoke of has leaves much like that of fescue (but taller),though the flower is what makes it so gorgeous. Anyway, I thought I might show you a photo of what I did with Festuca glauca 'Elijiah Blue' out infront of our cedar fence (facing south) in 2004. The thought was to add something for erosion control that could also stand the salt and "gunk" deposits from winter snowplow trucks from December-March.

As you can see it's really filled in. But I'm not done yet, and will be planting-in plugs and rooted cuttings of a great new sedum, Sedum spurium 'Fuldaglut' (Dragon's Blood), which I think will look great with the blue of the short tufts in between those deep Fall burgundy succulent leaves!
    Enjoy.
    Best,
    PP

• blackie57
    18 years ago

Hey Jake and all !! Been working my butt off and spent 10 days in the warmth of Texas lately. Thus my absence from posting. Let's see...what have I learned....

1.) I learned that I'm gunna wait until spring before i decide whether or not to divide my monster Miscanthis "Morning Light" or just let it turn into Godzilla !! I'm really dreading taking a pick, axe and shovel to this baby.

2.) That I ALWAYS plant these suckers too close together. But the silver lining in this is... I've started two new beds to transplant some specimen's in next year. and with the new beds that means less I have to mow...What a concept, planting grasses to get rid of grass...

3.) Grasses planted in groupings are way more attractive to my eye than a bunch of many different specimens. planted grouplings of Miscanthus "Varigatus" and Pennisetum "Hamiln" this year and love the look.

4.) I definately don't cut things down for the winter. In fact I don't cut back a majority of my perrenials until the spring as well. I think they do better as the dying foliage works to mulch the root crown of most. Some of my grasses did take a beating from the Autumn storms and flopped some, but all in all my grasses preformed admirably this season.

5.) Jake, i LOVE the plant a grass, grab a refreshment" school of OG planting. I vow never to change.

6.) but most of all, I learned a TON from just reading the posts on this forum from all of my fellow OG nuts ! The best way to learn, I'm convinced, is to share opinions and experiances with your counterparts. Thanks everyone, for ALL your input !!!

now onto the real important stuff...

Grey Goose, up, THREE olives and as dirty as that girl you knew in High School...

Blackie

• dereks
    18 years ago

I've learned that Muhlenbergia capillaris will not bloom in northern Utah. The hot season is just not long enough. It's not grown anywhere around here but I gave it a chance.

Miscanthus 'Sarabande' needs more than six hours of sun or it flops. (I think that's why it flopped.) I am going to take it out and try 'strictus' and see if it will do any better.

I used to love my tiny yard with easy maintenance. Now I wish it was bigger so I could have more grasses.

I also love the 'plant a grass and get a refreshment' idea. Is pepsi ok?

• jake
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dereks -

Whatever works for the person growing the grasses !! Just make sure the chair is comfy.

Jake

• grasses2
    18 years ago

It's been just plain fun for this old grower of grasses to follow so many of you this year. Reading what you have experienced this year, I continue to learn from all of you and I appreciate your helpful advice and expertise that you have shared over the months. Thank You!

I tried Miscanthus s. 'Little Kitten' and was pleasantly surprised to find it works very well as a border. It didn't outgrow its space and remained a 'little kitten'.

Planting 350+ grasses in less than a week (ALONE) was more work than I will attempt to do next year. I should have grabbed a chair and downed a gallon or two of something wet and cold. I should add that the grasses from last year, a little over 250, took care of themselves once they were in the ground.

Cutting back: In Michigan, a general rule of thumb is Easter or when you see green coming up. I've waited too long and have paid the price with squared off grass tips.

I still like Daylilies (Hemerocallis Stella d'Oro) in front of Miscanthus. No socks come off but still very pretty.

Top 5:

Calamagrostis a. 'Karl Foerster' - easy to grow and never a negative surprise.

Miscanthus s. Bluetenwunder - it really is beautiful. When stagger planted a beautiful wall of grasses and flowers will be the envy of any neighborhood.

Miscanthus s. Gracillimus - very nice all year. Specimen or group, a winner!

Panicum v. Cloud Nine - It lives up to its name. Very tall and little or no droop.

Panicum v. Heavy Metal or Panicum v. Shenandoah - the jury is still out as to which I like better.

• jake
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gej -

Gotta love and enjoy the picture of your grasses with the shed in the background. The snow cover makes a perfect winter scene that is totally awesome.

This is what grasses are all about from spring thru the growing season and into the dead of winter.

Thanks for sharing your enjoyment of the Ornamental Grass Forum and answering the post I tacked on the board.

It is people like you and all the others who make ornamental grasses a perfect fit in any landscape.

Jake

PS - I will be contacting you to discuss your Grasses and Gargoyles adventure.

• pam_aa
    18 years ago

Impressive photos of your collection. I can't imagine the work, but it keeps you aways looking forward to the future!

• deep___roots
    18 years ago

Mr. Gej: Thank you very much for the grasses & gargoyles web page.

I really like the pictures of Summer when the Miscanthus are huge. That's what I'm talking about! Very nice!

And I see that I could probably use some gargoyles in my yard. You mentioned you ordered some from a company in San Francisco? Could you share that info? I checked the phone book for "gargoyle" but came up empty. Thank you if you wish to reply. deep

• wgm8953
    18 years ago

Black mondo grass is simply beautiful around the base of my karley rose grasses.
    My karley rose stayed in bloom from early spring til frost hit them in late October.

• spokanepatty
    18 years ago

I enjoyed the answers to this question last year in the archives although at that time I hadnt planted ONE OG. SOoooooooo 9 months after & at least 15 different spieces later - ornamental grasses???? LOVE THEM!!!...How EZ just as you all said! We are gone most weekends in the warm months - no problem - no dead heading - no upkeep period! I telecommute from my home - sit by my office window 8 hours a day - 5 days a week - I have enjoyed 4 seasons of beauty...The way the grasses move in the wind - the way sun shines through them - the way the rain doesnt affect them at all - their awesome variety of colors! WOW - so glad we took the plunge & relandscaped our entire front yard beds plus included beautiful yellow/tan/white boulders & golden lava rock as a bed accent. Along with our deep green yard grass (in the spring/summer/fall) & cement swirling landscape borders - the contrast is magnificent! Neighbors wondered WHAT are THEY thinking?? (OG's still not the norm here in Spokane). However since then we have had many complements plus people actually stopping their cars - getting out for a closer look!

We have a west facing yard - full sun. Average temps in July/August 85 degrees +. Sandy/rocky dirt. Underground sprinkler system was ran for approx. 15 minutes each early morning. I was told a few of my grasses would not like that much water - wrong! For winter we have had 3 weeks straight of day/night below freezing temps along with 10 " of snow. All grasses but one (which I didnt expect to make it) appear to be thriving.

My favorite is Pennisetum Setaceum (Purple Fountain Grass). This is the one not making it in our low 6 probably 5 Zone through our winter but thats OK - this grass is worth the effort/cost to plant each year - trust me on this - I have ONLY been "doing" OG's for less than a year but this spieces is uncomparable!!! ($5.99 @ Home Depot) - beautiful with huge deep red/purple plumes. They grew over 5 feet tall straight up/sideways in 4 months! SO GEORGEOUS

Karl Foerster is 2nd choice....... He is STILL tall magestic & strong! Breathtaking! I will definitely plant more this spring. A true winner!

Carex Flagellifera (Sedge) is my 3rd choice. Compact & very very bushy growth that droops/hangs over itself & dances wonderfully....beautiful medium brownish color - really unusual!

Festuca Glauca (Elijah Blue) - 4th choice. What a dainty magnifcient plant!........it actually has had 3 color changes - light gr to magnificent blue/green and now it is almost a silverish/green color. We have them lining our walk to our front door - wonderful presentation!

Fifth chice is a toss up between my dwarf cork screw (sorry dont know the proper name ) - WOW what an unusal grass - deep green with all curly sprouts - LOVED to see it reaching through the snow! & my Golden Sword Yucca (not a true OG but....) - such a strong pwerful plant - thought for sure snow would break it down - came back even sturdier with a deeper bright yellow/green stripe color than ever! This is my one deversion other than a few Sempervivum (Hens & Chicks) that has strayed from the OG family. Both worked well with the "look" & both have no upkeep.

Thank you all for your wonderful tips as I was trying to decide last spring if this was truly the route to go!..........Most IMPORTANT - I actually prefer a nice dry cab with brie & crackers but my grasses perform just as well having a Kokonee! What more could you want out of life?

• dawgie
    18 years ago

In my second full year of growing OGs, I learned a few things:

-- Although relatively pest resistant, rust can cause problems in cool wet weather. I had bad rust infestations on my Foerster's reed grass and pink muhly.
    -- N. Sea Oats reseeds heavily and can be a problem if you leave the seed heads on the plants all winter.
    -- My ornamental grasses thrived during a very bad drought we had in NC from mid-summer through fall.
    -- The deer finally discovered some of my OGs, and have been munching down on the blue fescue.

I've had the best luck growing N. Sea Oats and Miscanthus "Adagio" in my garden. Both have thrived in areas with much less than full sun.

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

What I have learned, I have learned here by and large, or at least have had my experiences confirmed by those of others: Hypericum and rust on C.xa. 'Karl Foerster,' late banding on M.s. 'Zebrinus,' massing of Miscanthus, and a need for more gargoyles. Plus, most beneficially, sitting back with a tall cool one and watching them grow.

• jake
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ornamental Grasses - A Man's Perennial.

Sorry ladies but that's what ornamental grasses are all about. But you can still enjoy the grasses the way us men do.

Jake

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions