Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

Evergeen grasses

donn_
18 years ago

I love them. I have Festuca's, Deschampsia's, Luzula's and Sesleria's. They make great little accent plants.

What else is evergreen in zone 7? I'm especially interested in larger plants.

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Donn, I have no idea how well they would do in zone 7, but I'd add Helictotrichon, Anemanthele and most carex to your list. I particularly like the anemanthele (Pheasant grass or New Zealand wind grass) both for its soft, full arching form as well as for its fall/winter color change. But other than Cortaderia, I can think of no evergreen grasses that achieve much height. These will top out at around 30".

• donn_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Gardengal. I may have to try Anemanthele lessonia. It isn't in my books, since it's another of the recent exiles from Stipa. T&M says zone 7, but other sources say 8, and hardy to 10°F. It surely is a lovely grass, and seeds are cheap.

I tried wintersowing Helictotrichon last winter, but got no germination. I'll keep trying, and, as a last resort, buy some plugs from Bluestem.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Check out the anemanthele under its previous name, Stipa arundinacea or possibly Orzyopsis lessoniana. It is listed in Darke's encyclopedia under Anemanthele, in Greenlee's under Stipa.

It's a beautiful grass - easily my favorite of all the ornamentals although not as imposing or showy as some of the Miscanthus, Panicums, etc.

• Jack7b_ny
    18 years ago

Donn,

For taller evergreen- Carex pendula @ 21/2'-3' in our zone. Others; Luzula nivea and Luzula sylvatica aurea, Carex Evergold, Carex temnolepsis, most bamboo is evergreen, including non running Fargesia.

Jack

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

Arrhenatherum elatius var. bulbosum. (Did I check the spelling on that? You betcha!) Pic at Hortiplex.

If they're hardy and [somewhat] evergreen for me in zone 5a, they surely must be for you in zone 7. One of my favorite grasses, the earliest growing in my garden, a great ground cover or companion plant.

• donn_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jack...thanks for the suggestions. I started a dozen clumps each of L.nivea and L. sylvatica 'Select' (Starmaker) this year. I've just added Carex pendula to my next seed order.

Bru...that is a gorgeous grass, and, if I start buying, or trading for grasses, I'll get some. Unfortunately, I doubt if it can be grown from seed, and I'm on a tight budget.

• Thuja
    18 years ago

As Jack mentioned, most bamboo has evergreen foliage. In zone 4 it tends to tan out at about 0*F, but just like other OG's the tan foliage is persistent and attractive.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler