Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of Mexican Feather Grass?

Posted by danell 7 OR (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 19:12

I had three of these planted earlier this year but pulled them all out within one to two months yet now with the rainy season I see little babies popping up everywhere. Can I expect this to be a continuing problem or is there something I can do to rid myself of it? The area is heavily planted with other grasses, perrennials, ground covers, trees and bushes so I don't think chemicals a good idea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of Mexican Feather Grass?

Keep pulling them, and don't let any of them flower or go to seed.

o

• Posted by jungle87 Southern Illinois, 6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 17:51

You should dig some up and send them to me, lol.

o

They pull out of the ground very easily. Pull every time you see one where you don't want it to grow.

In the future, you can restrain seeding somewhat by "combing" the grass clump when it starts to set seed. Be certain you have a large container nearby to stash the "combings."

o

Thanks all. Jungle87, I have a better idea, why don't you come pull them and take all you want?

Actually I've pulled most of the larger weeds, removed the top 1/2 to inch of soil (with the hope of removing more of the dratted feather grass seeds) and will now lay down landscape cloth (easier to get in quantity than newspaper - although I would prefer newspaper because it breaks down and adds something to the soil) and then lay 3-4 inches of shredded hemlock bark on top. That, I hope, will do the trick. Cheers!

o

I've grown it for over ten years and have multiple clumps and never had such a problem with it seeding. I actually let them grow and pot them up and sell them. They ship easily when small.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here