Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grassboro

Opinions on Tall Miscanthus

grassboro
13 years ago

I have been looking at miscanthuses to decide on two tall semi-tall plants. The more I look the more I find and then change my mind. I want something in the 7-8 foot range that has a lot of foliage height. I came across the RHS Miscanthus Trial site which is helpful in giving both the foliage and plume height.

So what opinions are there on Grosse Fontaine and Silberfeder. I may have enough space for both. It seems they bloom close to the same time with similar plumes. Both of these were very well rated. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (2)

• donn_
    13 years ago

Check out the comparative grass chart at bluestem.ca, listed below. They list the relative statistics of 17 different Miscanthus cultivars, and you can bore in for photographs and full descriptions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem Ornamental Grass Comparison Chart

• grassboro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link. I have been on that site and it is very helpful. They do not list Grosse Fontaine there but I have seen it elsewhere.

Both seem very good. I need to select one as my large focal point grass. Being 5-6 ft. foliage tall is great. Plumes look nice on both. Fall color ?

I am interested in any hands on "user" experience with these grasses.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz