Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on Tall Miscanthus

Posted by grassboro NC Z7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 29, 10 at 19:49

I have been looking at miscanthuses to decide on two tall semi-tall plants. The more I look the more I find and then change my mind. I want something in the 7-8 foot range that has a lot of foliage height. I came across the RHS Miscanthus Trial site which is helpful in giving both the foliage and plume height.

So what opinions are there on Grosse Fontaine and Silberfeder. I may have enough space for both. It seems they bloom close to the same time with similar plumes. Both of these were very well rated. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on Tall Miscanthus

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 6:39

Check out the comparative grass chart at bluestem.ca, listed below. They list the relative statistics of 17 different Miscanthus cultivars, and you can bore in for photographs and full descriptions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem Ornamental Grass Comparison Chart

o
RE: Opinions on Tall Miscanthus

Thanks for the link. I have been on that site and it is very helpful. They do not list Grosse Fontaine there but I have seen it elsewhere.

Both seem very good. I need to select one as my large focal point grass. Being 5-6 ft. foliage tall is great. Plumes look nice on both. Fall color ?

I am interested in any hands on "user" experience with these grasses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here