Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Really need help with my GRASS

Posted by frank69m CA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 07 at 19:55

Hi. I live in southern california and have some questions on new grass.

I had some new marathon Sod put into an area that has mainly shade a very little sun. I've done this every year for the last 5 years. Everytime, after a month and always after mowing, my grass doesn't seem full. the grass is flat where someone or the lawnmower goes over and doesn't rise back up. There are patches of yellow also. I watered it every other day when it was first planted for the first 2 weeks. Now, I'm watering it 2-3 times a week.

Any reason why my grass doesn't look at thick. places where people step and the lawn mower goes over stays down and gets yellow....

any help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really need help with my GRASS

I think you may have been looking for a different forum (this one is geared toward ornamentals), but I believe your problem is the need for more sun...it is simply the most important requirement for most turf grasses...

Try a lawn turf which can tolerate shady conditions (possibly St. Augustine if you have less than 50% shade) and you should have much better luck.

If you have more than 50% shade....I would recommend a ground cover which desires shade and doesn't tolerate sun...this will keep it out of the sunny areas.
You could even use Liriope, but this one will live in sun, too....

I don't believe there are any turf grasses which will survive in that much shade for an extended period of time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here