Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotpeppernut

Help selecting a clumping grass

hotpeppernut
16 years ago

This year I planted my first ornamental grass, some Porcupine M. I really love the look of ornamental grasses, but am a bit lost on what would work in my situation.

The walkway to my front door is basically a driveway, leading to a short rounded concrete walkway that makes a slow 90 degree left turn towards the steps leading to the front door. It is perhaps 20' long at the outer side which faces the street. I would like to do a grass planting as a border which I don't want to get too high, but want the grass to be substantial enough to discourage people from walking over the lawn and stepping over the planned grass planting.

So, I am looking for a clumping grass that gets no taller than 2 feet or wider than 3 feet. It will serve as a border to the walkway, and I will plant some annuals in front of the grass for additional interest and color.

What would be a good selection for this, keeping in mind I like flowering grasses? This area gets full sun until mid afternoon. If the fronds (if that is what the flowering stems are called) get higher than 2 feet, that's fine, even preferred. The objective is to create a border that is functional, in stopping pedestrian traffic, but also of course decorative as well. I would prefer a variety that is not too aggresive in terms of spreading.

I am a real novice with grasses, so any help or advice would be very much appreciated. I find it difficult even with all the info on the net to make a decision I have any confidence in by myself. Please help! And thank you in advance!

John W

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions