Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bridgetr_gw

Miscanthus sinensis - too big?

Bridget
18 years ago

We had a landscaper design our front yard and place plants about three years ago. One of the plants "miscanthus sinensis" has really taken off. It is very beautiful and we love it but it is overwhelming the plants around it. It fact two smaller grasses have died and we believe it is because they didn't get enough sun because of the big grass. We cut it back to about a foot each year but it grows to about 7 feet tall and now it is also about seven feet wide. Can we devide it so it isn't so wide? or do we let nature do its thing and what survives is what we have?

Thanks

Comments (6)

• donn_
    18 years ago

Yes, divide it. With a clump that size, you can at least get 4 new divisions, maybe more.

Do it in early Spring, when you give it the annual haircut. Cut it back to about 4" above the crown, and take a good look at the crown. Large plants like this frequently die out in the center, and if yours has, take your divisions from the perimenter of the crown. Using a very sharp spade, either cut out the entire crown, and then divide it into equal-sized clumps, or cut it out in smaller clumps. Plant your divisions where you want them, and water them in well. Plant the divisions with their crowns at the same level as the parent crown.

Remember how big this guy gets, when planting out the divisions, and allow space between the new plantings and neighboring plants.

• Bridget
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Donn,

This is great. We have a perfect area for the divisions too.

• jake
    18 years ago

As Donn stated take a good look ay your current grass, split it and plant it where it will be better suited.

Personally I would remove that Miscanthus and plant another that is not so tall. There are many that you can choose from.

Contact your landscaper and asked what they would recommend as they made the mistake of not knowing the plant characteristics of the plant that they suggested.

Bad design decision.

Jake

• Bridget
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I hope it isn't too late. I am now ready to move this plant. How deep and how wide do I dig to dig it up and how big of a hole do I dig in its new home.

Thanks

• buyorsell888
    18 years ago

Miscanthus aren't sensitive to being moved or dug up or divided. Don't stress it. Just dig it out and chop it up. The new hole should be bigger than the rootball but doesn't have to be huge.

• pezhead
    18 years ago

I'll add that if you do decide to replant the divisions be aware that they will all get as big as the original plant (Jake touched on this) in just a few years and don't plant with the crown too low or you will invite rot. Water in well and give them a little help in the heat of this coming summer.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions