Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
miscanthus sinensis cultivars propagated

Posted by her8866 nanjing China (gaoher78@yahoo.com.cn) on
Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 22:02

Other than by division of propagate for bioenergy crop use,does anybody propagate Mischanthus sinensis cultivars for landscape by using conventional sowing methods?Was it feasible?Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: miscanthus sinensis cultivars propagated

• Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 24, 05 at 0:42

Yes and yes. I've grown M.s. 'New Hybrids' and 'Central Park' with conventional sowing methods.

o

Thanks Donn,till I search your 'New Hybrids'on google then I saw your article written on its seeds before.he he.I achieve the seeds of M.s.'Cosmopolitan' and 'Strictus'and 'abaret'on 17th November this year.I plan to use them next spring.But I learned from others that:"A ten year study in Russia concluded Miscanthus had a high extent of self-incompatibility,low viability and extremely poor seed set in cultivated and wild populations;propagation via seed was unreliable(Nechiporenko et al.,1997)).And from recommendations for using miscanthussome of some web said :"Do not propagate Miscanthus from seed",so puzzled. I decide to have a try as u did,maybe can be ok,who knows?he he.

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 24, 05 at 8:44

I think that 'New Hybrids' has been developed to come true from seed, like it's sisters, 'Early Hybrids' and 'Late Hybrids.' It has no distinctive foliage characteristics, simply a white mid-stripe. The one successful 'Central Park' seedling is distinctly different from 'New Hybrids' with a wider and stiffer leaf, and a lighter green color. I'll try more of it next season, and see if the first seedling survives the winter.

PS...you can find 'New Hybrids' seeds at Parks, linked below. They call it Eulalia Grass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eulalia Grass

o

Thanks Donn.I appreciate your help.:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here