Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OG newbie: leave in pots or plant now?

Posted by jgpyke z7 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 05 at 23:13

I got some bargains (a buck per quart pot), and now I need to know what to do. I've read other similar threads, but wasn't sure if my case is the same.

I have a couple Nasella ponytails, lots of pennisetum alopecuroides 'hameln', and a few cortadeia.

I'm in the NC Piedmont region. The weather here now is supposed to be 60/35 but we've had some cold spells more like 50/25.

Should I plant these now? If so, how much/how often to water?

Alternately, can I leave these in their pots and plant in a few months (i.e., March)? If I do this, do I need to take special precautions--or can I just leave them in my (cold) sunporch and treat as pseudo-houseplants (colder than the house, a bit warmer than outside, but not much)?

I'd love to be lazy and wait until spring, but if they have to go in the ground, I'll do that.

Thanks!!!

Garvey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OG newbie: leave in pots or plant now?

• Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 10:00

I'd say you could plant the Pennisetum with no worries. The Nasella and Cortaderia are more tender, but I'd probably plant them anyway. Put them in the warmest most protected spot in the garden, and mulch them in well. Then transplant them to their final spots next spring.

o
RE: OG newbie: leave in pots or plant now?

• Posted by Jake z4b-5 NE (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 21, 05 at 9:03

Having done what Donn has suggested will work, while I also have stuck the potted grasses in the ground, still in the pots, mulched them in w/ a good drink and planted them the following spring.

If you leave the plants in a protected semi warm location you need to water on occasion. Not much but some. If you get any snow or rain during the winter months, the watering you do is a stand in for the winter moisture.

In NE it isn't uncommon for people to water in the dead of winter when we get the mid winter warm up. The temp sometimes gets in the 40's & 50's for week or so. -10 up to 40+, wonderful climate change.

Jake

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here