Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
id grass please

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 11, 10 at 23:32

I started this from seed back in May 2008. I placed the seeds inside a wet paper towel and then inside the ziplock. I forgot how long it took before it germinated. Anyways, I have 5 of these. I really love its clump appearance. It started producing plumes last year towards the end of the season. The one on the picture was transplanted around June 2010. The old locations gets sun until 1pm. I noticed that these one is producing more plumes. Looks like it loves the sun. :)

Can someone id it please? Thanks.

These pictures were taken today a little past 2pm.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: id grass please

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 7:22

The plumes look like Pennisetum...possibly P. alopecuroides 'Moudry'.

o

the plumes looks like it contains seeds. Am I right? If so, will the seeds produce the same looks similar to that of its parent?

o

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 10:58

If it's 'Moudry' it will. I get several volunteers every year. You have to wait until well into winter to harvest the seeds. When the stem under the seedhead turns beige/brown, the seeds will be ripe. The way to test is to bend a seedhead down into a paper bag and shake it. The carriers should fall right off.

Here's what the carriers and seeds look like:

Photobucket

The seeds pinch right out. Couldn't be easier. Keep only the plump smooth seeds, and discard the scraggly wrinkled ones.

o

awesome! I'll try it in a few :)

o

I tried over the weekend. Each carrier didn't have any seed at all. :(

o

Surely some seeds dropped onto the soil by the plant. I think I'd take a trowel and sort of rough up the dirt and pack it down so the birds don't get them. Maybe you will be surprised come next spring with some volunteers no matter what you do. I ran across a couple of sites listing some Pennisetums as a pest under certain conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here