Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
her8866

seeds of Miscanthus sinensis 'Strictus' were shelled

her8866
18 years ago

My seeds of Miscanthus sinensis 'Strictus' were shelled today.But I found they are so unplump.sigh!

her

Comments (7)

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Aww, very sad. Miscanthus strictus is so beautiful too. I much prefer it to Zebrinus. Good luck next time.

Donn (or anyone), do you have a list of which Miscanthus' have viable seeds? I know for example Cabaret is almost entirely sterile. I would be interested in knowing which do come true from seed. I have a large assortment of Miscanthus, and would be willing to pass along some seeds, next year.

Polly

• donn_
    18 years ago

Polly, I just use info from the grass books, and seed vendors. So far, I've successfully grown only 'New Hybrids' and 'Central Park' from seed. Greenlee's book says that giganteus can be grown from seed. I've failed with 'Zebrinus' 'Cosmopolitan' and 'Gracillimus' all of which were obtained from trades.

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

From what I read it looks like many of the variegated varieties are sterile. Also I read they need to bloom early for the seed to be viable. Apparently that is the problem with Gracillimus, they bloom so late for us here that they don't have time to mature. However if you could get them from some southern seed source they might do well. It seems Gracillimus is one of the easiest to start from seed. An article I read says for us northern gardeners if it blloms in September, that is too late for the seed to mature. I do have early bloomers, Adagio, Nippon and Huron Sunrise come to mind. So maybe Donn, you might wish to try those.

her8866 - are there any varieties of Miscanthus you have had luck with? (and what a pleasure to have input from someone in China!)

Polly

• her8866
    Original Author
    18 years ago

polly-----I'm a newer to Miscanthus,I just have the three Miscanthus,oh....I still have Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light'.But morniglight had heavy disease this year with dark red speckles,then the two whole clumps of morning light nearly dried up although they flowered on time.I have read a research "Establishing Miscanthus sinensis from seed using conventional sowing methods" written by D.G Christian,N.E. Yates,A.B.Riche,on Industrial Crops and Products 21(2005)109-111.They conclude that Miscanthus sinensis plants from seeds produced from uncontrolled free pollinaton ,rusults in a plant population with wide morphological diversity and sowing Miscanthus seed in the field as energy crop is feasible,but still need further research.As the varieties,all varieties in China now (all in trade)almost inputed from America or Australia etc,Ornamental grasses is a new concept in China,they were wild and looked as energy crop previously.:)

But---donn,----the article also said that the seeds of Miscanthus giganteus is sterile and multiplication requires vegetative propagation or tissue culture.The same conlusion also see "Propagation method as an important factor in the growth and development of Miscanthus giganteus" from Industrial Crops and Products.1998,8,229-245.by Lewandowski.which is right?Greenlee or ?.........

• donn_
    18 years ago

Her...the only way I can find out is to try to grow it. Polly's idea of obtaining seed from warmer climates may be a good approach. If the plant doesn't have a long enough season to produce viable seed, it may be assumed sterile.

There seems to be a wide variance in opinions about the plant. Darke says that it is different from 'Floridulus' while Greenlee says it's an AKA. Greenlee says to propagate by seed or division, while Darke says it "generally" does not self-sow. I think Polly's Purdue article said that Greenlee grew his grasses in California. That may be the difference.

• her8866
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I find from other research,for Miscanthus giganteus is a triploid hybrid between the tetraploid M.sacchariflorus and the diploid M.sinensis.Because it's triploid,so it's sterile.(from Inger baksted Holme&Karen koefoed Petersen,Callus induction and plant regeneration from.....,Plant cell,Tissue and Organ Culture 45:43-52.1996)
    As wheather it is right,I cannot sure,I think.thanks.

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

I get from older Bluemel catalogues that Miscanthus floridulus and Miscanthus 'Giganteus' are not the same, however totally mixed up in commerce. From the names one would almost think floridulus is a species, and 'Giganteus' a named hybrid.

Does anyone reading this forum in the south grow these, and do they seed around?

I think this will be an interesting experiment for Donn to try.