Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Grasses

Posted by addicted2wsing z7Piedmont (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 10, 05 at 8:44

Do all grasses get cut back in the fall except pampass which gets cut back in the spring?

Thanks
Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Grasses

And the answer to all things gardening - it depends :-) Depends on where you live, if you like the look of dried grasses and their seedheads over winter and it depends on the type of grasses you are growing. Many people like the look of the taller, deciduous warm season grasses in the winter landscape and do not cut them back until new growth emerges in spring. Others don't care for what can be an untidy look in strong winds or heavy snows and cut them back in fall or early winter or whenever they start looking really ratty.

Cool season grasses respond best to cutting back in late winter/early spring as well. And I generally don't recommend a wholesale annual cutting back of evergreen grasses - many resent it and can fail from such treatment and others just loose their appearance for longer than you'd like. I tend only to groom my evergreen grasses by combing out the dead blades, saving any major cutting back for when they need division and sometimes not even then. This would apply to the pampas grass, which I personally think looks terrible if cut back annually.

o
RE: Pruning Grasses

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 14, 05 at 10:03

I cut mine down in the spring, when I can get to them through the snow. Usually, March is the best time for me. At that point, I cut back ALL of my grasses, and let the new growth reach for the sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here