Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laylaa_gw

Little Bluestem the Blues for 7b?

laylaa
15 years ago

I am looking for a more native alternative grass to suggest to a home owners association for planting in a drainage ditch, right of way area. It is not high traffic at all. So far little bluestem 'the blues' seems a good choice. It's shorter, pretty colors, low maintenance and drought tolerant.

It's GA, soil is likely on the acid side but otherwise suitable nutrient wise, full sun. While the HOA is receptive to going towards native planting, they are an HOA and having to hurdle Bermuda grass mindsets. I would like to select wisely to set a good example that (more) native is not a mess.

My concerns are: it flopping and also reseeding to the annoyance of the neighborhood. Has anyone grown this in 7b or south and can offer opinions? I've only found northern opinions on this cultivar and only seen it in photos. Thank you!

Comments (3)

• donn_
    15 years ago

I grow it here, and for the past 5 years, I've had a cool zone 8 climate. I haven't noticed any reseeding, but if I were planting it in a drainage ditch, I'd be concerned about the potential. The species is a known reseeder, and I've seen nothing which says this cultivar is sterile. If it reseeds, chances are it will revert to species, and lose it's color and other special characteristics.

If the drainage ditch carries water in winter, you could get substantial transfer of ripe seed. I'd look for a known sterile OG.

Species Little Bluestem is native to Georgia, and even to Florida. It'll only flop if it gets too much water or too much shade. It doesn't care much about soil.

• laylaa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the advice, I need to take reseeding into consideration. The ditch is barely a ditch, maybe 1'-2' across and carries very little water unless there is a heavy rain. It's water from a road but at the top of a hill, most of the water goes to the other side of the road. I had not planned on planting the grass between the road and ditch (this would be walking space) so no water would be passing from road surface through grass into the ditch. I also would not put it actually in the ditch itself.

My main goal is to find a wildlife friendly planting which could as well eliminate our cost of professional mowing on the right of way. It's extremely low traffic! We have no native grass areas here, so I am trying to work one in. A meadow effect won't work since it is for a HOA, needs to be a bit more formal and one type of mass plant. I am just happy the HOA will take native/wildlife into consideration when landscaping so don't want to screw it up so they continue to do so.

I'll keep looking for alternatives. I do plan on planting a bank on my own property with little bluestem the blues. I have some native now and love the winter appeal. My native stands up just fine.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    15 years ago

Muhlenbergia emersleyi or mulenbergia lindheimerii, Stipa tenuissimas (or bullgrass , Big muhly, mexican wire grass) would look good interspersed through the blue stem. I also like wheeping muhly, (Muhlenbergia dubioides) If other grasses are planted in the area below it and have a carpet formed, like bermuda, san agustine. they most likely will not spread because they do not compete that well against these carpet forming grasses. Usually the problem is keeping the bermuda out of the wild. They germinate on exposed ground. I have found in my area of texas not any spreading in my beds. The mexican wire grass might spread the easiest but I haven't had a problem with it. More problem with bermuda. If you want any Muhlenbergia emerslyi , my plant is seeding and has a lot seed on it right now that I can send you. Tell me soon because it will be windy to day.