Winter Grasses at Callaway Gardens

grass_guy
17 years ago

Callaway Gardens in December...

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Grasses

Comments (5)

• donn_
    17 years ago

Very cool, Paul. I love Miscanthus plumes in winter, as do the local birds. I watched Sparrows and House Finches flying away with 12" long strands the other day. They're using them for nesting material, and looked like little planes dragging banners through the sky.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Lovely pics!
    I just looked at my images ~ I seem to have taken a lot of pictures of patio furniture .... no wait ... I see some ornamental grasses in the background :o)
    That whole place really is a gorgeous piece of property!

As for grasses in the winter, even though we have had a lot of rain and heavy snow, most of the miscanthus and few other tough species are still looking good. The Stipa tenuissima still has a hint of green.
    Grasses really do add another dimension to the winter landscape.
    a.

• jake
    17 years ago

It was great to read achnatherum's comment about ornamental grasses being a good winter landscape investment.

there have been way too many comments about cutting the grasses back in late fall but then again maybe the winter grass scene isn't so attractive unless there is snow to hide and enhance the grasses.

Ornamental grasses ..... a man's perennials (and womens too).

Jake

• sharont
    17 years ago

Callaway Gardens is on our 'to do' list this year on our return trip from Florida in late March. Last year we bypassed it thinking there wouldn't be anything of interest knowing it's location in the mountains, so to speak. Your photos are indeed compelling. A visit to Callaway at any time of the year seems to be warranted. I'm looking forward to it!

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    Late March could be quite nice there. We were there once in late February and it was good even then. Woodland plants were starting to emerge (gingers etc), the early trees were in bloom, the rosemary was blooming in the veggie garden & the day time temps were high enough to have the enormous greenhouse door open for an amazing showing.
    Highly recommended!
    I would love to go back when the Azaleas are blooming ....
    A.
    (if you have time the Atlanta Botanical Gardens are not to be missed!)